Author Topic: 91 V3500 Crew cab cummins  (Read 38504 times)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: 91 V3500 Crew cab cummins
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2015, 07:23:29 AM »
so i have the truck driving around the shop. still waiting on the black box and need to get a rear driveshaft made. right now shes only front wheel drive and she wont shift out of first. mocking up the pillar pod and have the 3 sensors for the gauges ran (boost, egt and trans temp). the fuel pumps seam to be working good. need to transfer the fuel pressure gauge from the 84 to the 91. only problem is i was trying to keep all the gauges looking stock and the white gauge doesnt look so good with the glow shift black gauges lol.

the pillar pod was fun, i dont know the size of the glow shift but they were too big. we have this nice little tool a "deburring tool"

and i just went around the pod a couple times to shave off what needed to be taken off. the pods still fit snug and they dont turn, painted them black and had to shave off some paint

the hydro boost was fun also. took me a while to figure out why i was having so many bubbles and each time it would overflow the reservoir and flow out. come to find out it looked like there was enough fluid in the reservoir when i would check it but once i started it it would suck it down and it would be sucking air. the sucking of air would then turn into bubbles and once shut down it would over flow. the way i had to fix it was unhooking the return like up on the master cylinder plugging the line that goes back to the pump and running some more hose off they cylinder with a hose clamp into a cup. start the engine and pump the brakes, after each release the cylinder would release power steering fluid into the cup then once i filled the cup i would then pour power steering fluid that was settled down so there was no air in the new fluid back into the reservoir. did this till i saw no more bubbles in the cup and the problem was fixed, topped off the reservoir with fluid and was done.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2015, 07:49:14 AM »
crappy vid but it was late.

the black smoke is cause there was no exhaust pipe on the turbo. there is now a short section that ends right around the transfercase. so now all thats black and its not a good ideal to sit in the truck while its idling  ::)

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2015, 09:09:04 AM »
also the dipstick
it would of been a good ideal to order a "flexible" dipstick but for $80 i decided to make my own.
first design didnt work too well

it was supposed to allow it to bend under the firewall and it did but it was at a bad angle and ended up sitting near the turbo
second design i have no picture of but i measured the old dipstick  and cut some 5/8 hose to fit. i then cut the bottom part of the dipstick nipple off leaving about 2" above the lip that sits on the trans. after that i cut about 3" off the top of the dipstick so the original dipstick would be held in place by the metal tube. then i made a bracket and bolted it to the firewall. ill try to get a picture when i get home

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
tripple pillar pod
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2015, 07:52:37 PM »
not really much room for the dipstick to take a picture

The pods i sanded down with some fine grit paper to get rid of the seams and painted them black
i put everything in place and found out where i wanted to set the pods at marked it out then came the hard part (drilling holes in the good trim)

at first it was the two retainer holes then i drilled holes for the wires. im not going to say what size holes i drilled cause yours might be bigger depending on the retainers.

like i said i had to trim mine up to make them fit the gauges and it was still a tight fit so i didnt want to fully seat the gauges till i knew everything was in a good place

after i had it mounted i didnt like the way the two retainers where holding it down so added a 3 more one to each corner except the inside one at the bottom due to not being able to get a drill in place with the gauges mounted

Crappy photo will get one better but heres the test run

i like how clean the retainers look but the con is once they are in you cant take them out so easy. i ended up cutting a hand full off due to a problem i had
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 09:12:32 AM by Irish_Alley »

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2015, 03:30:20 PM »
had a pressure problem with the transmission, after shut down it would spew fluid from the dipstick area. come to find out we pinched the vent line on the transmission between the transmission cross member and trans mount. felt so good i hooked up againts a early 90s f250 with a 7.3. im against hooking up to other trucks but this boy wouldnt keep his mouth shut. since im against hooking up and believe it will only break parts we stuck to the dirt roads around the farm and made a gentlemens agreement that if one was to win he wouldnt drag the other around, i told him if he did this once he stops i would come out of my truck swinging. and it proved another point of mine its all about traction i was only front wheel drive he was only rear and we just dug holes lol. would loved to pulled him but i dont like the ideal of going on the road. but next weekend is truck pulls and i should be there

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2015, 03:57:08 PM »
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 05:03:52 PM by Irish_Alley »

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2015, 12:03:16 AM »
Did you not screw them down with the Screws?  The 3rd one included is for the top spot...
Feedback?  Can you send me a pic to share?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2015, 12:10:32 AM »
Didn't see any screws. Might have missed it in the box lol. And just reread your installation write up and see you had the same ideal for more screws

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2015, 12:31:42 AM »
Hmmm. you got one of the first ones.  It would have been loose in the bag...  Sorry about that...

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2015, 07:02:53 AM »
lol even if it was in a bag i felt like a kid at Christmas when i opened it so i probably would of never even seen that either

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2015, 11:45:35 AM »
well i was having a squeal at certain times and it only happened at speeds above 18 mph and wouldnt stop till i completely stopped. replaced the carrier bearing because i figured it was probably the original and been exposed to salt and everything else. i also had a vibration only on acceleration. i just knew it had to be the bearing cause tires shouldnt do that. well maybe i was wrong when i put in my drive shaft and thought i phased the 2 piece shaft when i installed it cause it wasnt phased at all was 90° off. so i removed the front half of the shaft along with the bearing and beat on it for a while then i just took the cut off wheel to the bearing and cut it off. put the new one on and PHASED the drive shafts and the squeal is gone along with the vibration.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2015, 12:17:09 PM »
so next problem is, right after i got the truck inspected (with the 350 tbi) you could smell gas really bad around the left side fuel tank. figured it was a loose filler neck and couldnt really see any drips. well last night after sitting for a couple days i started it up and noticed the fuel gauge wouldnt go above 9 or so psi, switched tanks and it jumps to 12. didnt pay it no mind figured it was a weak pump on that side so i went up to the shop (only 50 ft away) and parked it on the concrete to clean up the bay before i pulled in leaving the truck to idle. after cleaning the bay up i noticed a puddle under the left side tank but thought it must have been some water from the storm we had a couple days ago draining out of the bed. pulled into the bay and it kept dripping, nothing fast but a nice puddle quickly formed.

rolled under the truck and i could smell diesel and sure enough i dipped my fingers in the fluid and it was diesel. so apparently the inspection guy tugged a little hard on those fuel lines and caused them to crack. im not blaming him cause if they did that they were in bad shape anyway. still have to drop the tank to see whats cracked but its next on the list

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2015, 09:32:03 PM »
So took a little trip to the dump today. Filled up when I left with a dump trailer when I Hit the scales I weighed in at 12840 lbs. Trans temp was about 190-200 norm is 180 did pretty good hauling it and once I made it back home I topped off again got 16 mpgs

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2015, 01:50:29 AM »
Not to shabby.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline fitz

« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2015, 10:57:55 AM »
Glad to hear that its up and running.
What's left to do before its cleared for daily driver status?