Author Topic: TH350 Transmission swap on '78 K10  (Read 3965 times)

Offline 78rustbucket

TH350 Transmission swap on '78 K10
« on: March 09, 2003, 09:03:00 AM »
Whats goin on fellas, I'm a newbie, just found this forum, and was seeking some help on a transmission swap on a '78 chevrolet k10. My father has passed the truck down to me, and had already had the Turbo 350 out of it once, as well as put a kit on the NP-203 transfer case to switch it to part time 4WD. After getting the truck, ragging the heck out of it, bouncing it up and down off road (to be honest, I have actually had the whole truck off the ground hitting a mudhole so hard), but anyways, I'm out in the dark on swapping the trans. He's been giving me pointers on how to do it and so far, I've taken everything out, U-Joints, driveshafts, speedo cable and a few other things. Basically all thats left if the shift linkage (I think 2 or 3 bolts for that), and the crossmember. Then I'm screwed from then on.

What originally happened was I was bouncing it off road, and as the chassis was twisting the cooler lines for the trans rubbed on the cross member, rubbing the holes in. Brought it back here, went and bought some hoses and clamps, sealed it up and it was good for..... another month of off-roading. So one day I'm playing with my buddy and all the sudden I notice I'm not going forward anymore, I only have a reverse gear. To make a long story a little shorter, I drove it home in reverse, put it in the garage, looked up some info and by what I think I did was burnt up the forward clutch pack in the transmission, as it seems the clamps for the hoses on the cooler lines bounced loose.

But anyways, after boring you guys, just wandered if I could seek a little help in removing this tranny. I know I should probly drop the transmission and transfer case all at once, and support the back of the engine, but what else?? Thanks fellas.

~Jon