Author Topic: New Guy  (Read 13689 times)

Offline REVINKEVIN

New Guy
« on: March 02, 2008, 05:15:14 PM »
Hey.  I am new to this site.  I am building my first box truck.  I am working on my 1986 Silverado.  I searched for this truck for over 3 years on eBay and all over the Internet.  All the black trucks around here were rusted.  I found this truck last January on eBay.  It was in Florida.  It had only been there for 2 months.  The guy bought it from the original owner in South Carolina.  I is black with black interior.  It has every option.  The option sheet is still in the glove box with a customer order number on it.   I have completely disassembled the truck with the great help from my friend Jason at My Mechinex in Rosenberg.  The only rust found was on top of the bed rails where it had the old style plastic bedliner installed.  All body work is now complete.  All emblems have been stripped and all holes welded and smoothed.  We are about to weld in the tailgate skin, rear roll pan, and the front roll pan. The Goodmark steel cowl induction hood will be here this week.

The engine, transmission, and suspension are all complete now.  The 305 was traded for some work.  I found a 1971 400sbc  and had it rebuilt.  The motor is now a 406.  The stock crank was ground and treated to some 5.7 rods with Speedpro pistons.  The cam is a custom ground solid flat tappet designed by the NHRA Pro Sportsman of the year and his friend at Ultradyne.  Oil pan is Milidon.  The heads are the new Air Flow Research 195 Eliminators and use Orson 1.6 aluminum roller rockers.  The headers are Hooker Supercompetion 1 3/4" that dump into an x-pipe and 3 chamber flows.  The intake is a Weiand Stealth with a Holley 770 Street Avenger and K&N Filter top setup.  It also has a new B-Kool aluminum radiator and a Holley Blue pump fuel system.  Trans has been replaced with a 700R4 upgraded with a billet input shaft, 5 pinion planetary gear set, Raybestos bands, beast sunshell, etc, and custom 2300rpm stall.  Suspension is Brother's 3-4 kit.  3" drop springs up front with 4" monoleaf springs in rear with matching drop shocks at all four corners.  The front end was completely dissembled, cleaned, painted, and fitted throughout with Poly budhings and new ball joints.  The truck now also has new Addco front and rear swaybars. 

The inside is also being worked over.  I have a set of Dakota Digital dash and a Kenwood eXcelone 959 head unit with a Kenwood Music Keg.  I still have to put my full roll of Dyno Mat inside, but I have to wait for it to get out of the paint booth.  It gets painted Black Clearcoat sometimes soon.  One interesting thing I am going to use is the Solid side window kit I found that eliminates the vent windows.  I also sold the sliding back glass and will install the solid rear window as well. 

Well I am sure I forgot some things, but this is my project and it's well underway.  I am sure I will have many questins in the future.
Kevin
If you drive North far enough, you will end up going South.  If you drive West, you will always be going West.

Offline Toolmaster

• Administrator
  • Frequent Member
Re: New Guy
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 05:22:52 PM »
Welcome to the forum !

Now let's see some photo's !!
Hang him !!!    (Judge Roy Bean)  Looters will be shot on site !!!

Offline JJSZABO

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 06:46:38 PM »
Welcome - Please post pics ;D
Jeff

86 Chevy C-10
350, TH400
Ex father and son project (son lost interest)

Son regained interest when truck was almost completed

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 06:29:23 AM »
Sounds pretty slick. Welcome from New Hampshire.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline ccz145a

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 07:37:52 AM »
Welcome - Yes, post some pics. I gotta see this thing.
1975 C10 Silverado LWB, 454CID, TH400, 10bolt 3.42
11MPG Downhill w/tailwind (but there ain't no hills here)

Offline FlatBroke

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 08:24:04 AM »
Welcome to here.
It's not the tires screaming, It's the asphalt

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=7217.0

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 09:09:23 AM »
Welcome to the site?  Did you get the one piece glass from us?

Offline REVINKEVIN

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 11:31:16 AM »
Hey.  Thanks for the welcome.  I bought the glass from Brothers.  I did not know about your business or this site until the other night.  More new parts to come though.  Not much to see in pics right now.  Just a completely stripped truck.  Let me see if I can post one.  It says all of my pictures are to big.  See if this link works.  I might be letting people into my personal photobucket site.  So, don't do anything to me, please.
http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii269/REVINKEVIN963/

Kevin, at the bottom of you pics are tags for posting, just copy it and paste it here like below... Captkaos

« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 04:02:12 PM by Captkaos »
If you drive North far enough, you will end up going South.  If you drive West, you will always be going West.

Offline JRConnieK10

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 11:49:38 AM »
Welcome, nice pics also.
'85 K10 LWB 350/SM465
BUILT NOT BOUGHT

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 04:00:11 PM »
Hey.  Thanks for the welcome.  I bought the glass from Brothers.  I did not know about your business or this site until the other night.  More new parts to come though. 

OUCH, they want $775 for the kit, and I have them for $675.  Same kit, same supplier; OPP.  OPP has them listed on their site for $695..    I am cheaper than the manufacturer.

Offline SLUG

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 04:39:12 PM »
welcome from s.e.tx, lookin good

Offline REVINKEVIN

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 08:39:13 PM »
Hey.  I looked back on my reciepts.  I bought that window kit on a sale that ended on Holloween last year.  I paid $625 for it.  Still way to much, but I feel better now after your post.   I just got my Goodmark Cowl hood in today.  It was bent on 3 corners from shipping.  Lots of drama with Jegs and Yellow Freight.  I worked it out though.  Just postponeded my paint booth appointment by over a week.  Oh well.  Projects go like this.

Offline jonkmbll89

• Registered Users
  • 85 Chevy Silverado C10 swb 5.7/350
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 09:23:39 PM »
Nice truck and sweet Camaro too! ;D
GET IN, SIT DOWN, SHUTUP, AND HANG ON

Offline choptop

• Extended cab fanatic
    • conversiontrucks
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 09:24:45 PM »
Welcome from West Texas
76 C10 Choptop,76 C10 Swb
85 C10, 85 K10, 85 K20,86 C10,86 K10 (all extended cabs)
86 C30 extended crewcab

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 11:00:04 AM »
Hey.  I looked back on my reciepts.  I bought that window kit on a sale that ended on Holloween last year.  I paid $625 for it.  Still way to much, but I feel better now after your post.   I just got my Goodmark Cowl hood in today.  It was bent on 3 corners from shipping.  Lots of drama with Jegs and Yellow Freight.  I worked it out though.  Just postponeded my paint booth appointment by over a week.  Oh well.  Projects go like this.

Actually that isn't that bad, they probably bought a lot of them, of course that won't be happening again...