Author Topic: 85 1 ton Dually- Cummins Swap  (Read 109546 times)

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: 85 1 ton Dually- Cummins Swap
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2011, 02:28:07 PM »
if you swapped out the pedal assembly from an auto to manual the extra length and holes are what provides the support.  The cab is the same otherwise.

Offline tpull123

« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2011, 09:11:39 PM »
I figured out my problem with the firewall flex.  When I converted it, I used the pedal assembly out of my 78 parts truck.....what I didn't know was the hyd years used the two braces that go to the master cylinder.     So I either need to find a set of those or make some.   Originally I used a 94 dodge cummins mastercylinder and modified the firewall but it was wayyyy to stiff as the motion ratios where wrong.   Now it is much better.    All part of the learning process I guess.
1978 Frame w/ Cummins Diesel, 85 cab and front end, and time well wasted....lots of it!

Offline wildcatjason

« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2011, 06:53:03 PM »
Love it!

Offline cubicdollars

• Frequent Member
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2011, 04:36:56 PM »
Been a while since I have updated this project, ihave been working in Mexico setting up the plant down here.

Bought a new cab a few weeks ago to replace my rusty one ,mine is rusting in the firewall and the cab corners, found an 88 that's sweet I plan on blasting it and starting the body work, I wil purchase a couple of gallons of second skin to undercoat which will help with the cummins noise.

The truck is at the shop this week getting fuel pump timed and valves set. Owner told me he a 3.55 gear set and the missing speedo gear set that I need to make the mechanical speedo going.

I am still in love with the cummins swap and I am ready to finish it so I can dedicate some time to my step side-decided to twin turbo the 489 that came out of the dually :):)
1977 Stepside,F2 Procharged BBC 505
1984 Buick T Type Regal, LS Swapped

Offline Wheel Barrows Garage

• New Users
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2012, 11:54:01 AM »
CubicDollars, great thread and a nice looking truck.  I have collected what I hope are most the parts I need to do a swap into a 79 Chevy that will now be 4x4.  The biggest question I have never found an answer to is the wiring.  You solved some of it by sticking with a Chevy alternator and A/C compressor.  Just pulled the harness off my donor 97 12 valve.  Its got wiring plugs on the fuel filter, lift pump, injection pump, one on the front of the block, one on the head, one in the intake manifold, one into the nv4500 and of course the speedo is electric.  How did you make yours run!?!  Biggest quandary is what if I need all the ones in the fuel system?
Any info you want to provide would be awesome!!
Always wanted a slammed 4dr dually!!

Offline cubicdollars

• Frequent Member
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2012, 07:42:44 PM »

Its got wiring plugs on the fuel filter,-This is a sensor to detect water in the fuel, I just cut the wires back and did not use that sensor, I just just the filter when I change oil or randomly
lift pump,I believe you are talking about the round componant by the fuel pump, I was told that was a fuel heater, mine was burned up and when I asked around I was told in my area i would never need it so i removed it
injection pump,This one you need,its the engine cutoff switch, they burn up or go bad on occasion, mine was missing the previous owner removed it and used a choke cable into the cab to kill the engine, I bought a new one off ebay I believe it was from a guy called Larry B he sells cummins parts, I wired it up per his instructions and it works great
one on the front of the block,I was told this was a tach signal not sure, it ran through the Dodge computer so I just did not run it. I was told you can buy a new tach signal to use in chevy's but I really dont need one so I live with out it.
one on the head,this is the water temp, stock Chevy temp guage from my BBC went in with a pipe adapter, no problems
 one in the intake manifold, I am not sure what this one was its either inlet temp or boost, I just did not hook it up beacuse it went through the computer, I would like to add a boost and EGT guage eventually though
one into the nv4500 and of course the speedo is electric.This one here has got me stumped, There is websites out there that gives part numbers for the mechanical gear cluster but when I went to the dodge dealerwith the numbers it was obsolete I havnt looked really hard either I have been using my GPS to check my speed 

Honestly these engines are very simple, the only require a fuel source and a way to start them to get them to run, the starter wires the same as a chevy, I really am glad I spent the money for the chevy brackets I am not a big fan of wiring and with these I did not have too.

I want to see your project I really enjoy seeing how others turn out, Thanks again for the compliments it was a lot of work but completly worth it. I would like to do a cummins full size blazer or a short box someday

Thanks
Dan

Offline Wheel Barrows Garage

• New Users
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2012, 08:20:34 PM »
Dan
  Thanks so much for the QUICK reply!  You gave me more info then I have run across in 2 years of looking through a bunch of different forums and such.  Still need to track down a few things looks like.  Is there anyplace to get an oil pressure?  Seems like that could be important!  Wiring doesn't scare me really, just finished droppin an LT1 into a 49 Plymouth but I put just as much as possible out of the donor car in there as possible.  Trying to go a different way this time.  Really want to run a Chevy wiring and keep my cluster and all that.
Will try to get a post started on my build.  Not really much to look at!  I pulled the truck apart to many years ago to do a resto and then decided to add the Cummins. That has snowballed into a 1 ton frame and different axles and on and on!  At the moment no 2 parts are bolted together!
May have more questions as I go so I hope I don't pester you to much!

Offline cubicdollars

• Frequent Member
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2012, 08:45:05 PM »
No Problem :)  I cant wait to see your project, the oil pressure port is by the moter mount on the driver side, I used the chevy sending unit it screwed right in the dodge hole. If you run an intercooler try to flip it so the inlet/outlit ports come out on the top. I put mine the way it came out of the dodge but the tubing hit on the wheel wells. I have another radiator support to cut up and mount mine but I havnt taken the time yet, I am not exactly sure how that will turn out.

Thanks
Dan

Offline mark.stoute.5

« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2016, 03:56:55 PM »
Can you give a good link you where you got you kit from? Also do you have a good link to the pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2016, 08:34:03 AM »
im going to go out on a limb here and say he might not respond anytime soon. your best bet is to post a question you have and me or bajaburban can answer it for you
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes