Author Topic: 91 V3500 Crew cab cummins  (Read 37493 times)

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: 91 V3500 Crew cab cummins
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 08:48:09 PM »
If it doesn't have the trim it won't have a hole.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 08:57:28 PM »
ok thought they just drilled them all out from the factory then added whatever later. the screws in the pillar if im thinking right you cant really just drill them out with the windshield in can you?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2015, 08:59:27 PM »
Yep.  If it came with no trim or headliner there is no holes in the interior.
I converted several by just drilling the holes.

Offline Jason S

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 09:03:08 PM »
If it's not there already, the lower hole for the factory trim is the more difficult one to drill. It'd be much easier if the windshield was out, but it can be done with the windshield installed.
1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"

Offline jkid

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 07:01:12 AM »
Hey Irish I just started a very similar project.  Because you took the motor from a running conversion you should be way head.  What are you planning to do with all the extra wires in the 91?  What trans are you using?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2015, 08:02:24 AM »
The wires got pulled from right side (passengers side) of the bulk head connector and the wires from the . This all goes to the trans and engine. I pulled the wire harness from the right side of the 84 also I will try to just swap them and run a TCU for the 4l80e. The ecm on the 91 comes from the passengers side of the firewall behind the glovebox. I will mount my TCU in this location.

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 08:30:46 AM »
One thing I'm not sure of but the 4l80e used 6 torque converter bolts while the 700 only used 3. If I look up the 91 it shows 2 different flexplates one for the 700r4 and another for the 4l80e. Does anyone know the difference?  I'm hoping thins is why they rigged up the flexplate on the Cummins. I think the th400 which should of been on the back of the Cummins and had to be modified to fit the 700r4

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2015, 08:38:32 AM »
Another thing I'm going to have to figure out is the speed sensor on the 4l80 is electronic so I have to tap into the sensor and split it between the TCU and speedo

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2015, 11:23:14 PM »
well its been a long week with the blizzard and all in delaware

think it was supposed to be a foot but we didnt even get an inch. but after that let down i got sick as a dog and today was the first day i got back to work on the truck only worked on it for a hour or so. first thing i did was try and fix the flex plate rigging from the po. they welded three washers about a ½" toward the inside to accommodate for the 700r4 torque converter. so i had to cut them out and fix that. well instead of trying to patch new pieces in i just used washers also but i put 6 on so when i bolt the flex plate back on it wouldnt flex

then i fixed the starter. when i tried to take it off the signal wire for the solenoid it was held in place with a phillips head machine screw. so i just cut the wire cause the screw wasnt coming out so i had to remove the screw and replace it. thats about all i did today at this rate i should be done by summer lol.

my front cross member has been modified for some reason thinking to clear the oil pan but idk maybe tomorrow i can try to drop her in

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2015, 11:14:03 PM »
first thing i did today was give the cummins a nice bath. the front crankshaft seal was leaking so it had a nice coating of anti rust stuff.
second part was fix the "killer dowel pin" mine looked ok but didnt want to risk it later, but im too frugal to spend that money on something i could rig up and be done.

went to the hardware store and got a bolt about a ½" longer than the stock bolt. took a piece of stainless and drilled a hole in it and made it into a teardrop kind of ends up like this

i dont know why my timing cover is different than the one pictured above but this is what mine looks like

i used a nut that i ground down as a spacer for the bolt and put a tack weld on the tip to help keep the pin in place
mine did turn out a little funny but i dont care no one will see it except on here lol
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 11:06:41 PM by Irish_Alley »

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2015, 11:17:34 PM »
then the fun stated i was by myslef but i wanted to put the engine in

at this point i realize the engine prob wont bolt to the trans and i have to start measuring to see if they moved the trans in the 84 back or what.
i was getting tired and i had a button buck that i picked up on the way back from the hardware store in the back on my 94. mind you the weather is now 50° out. luckily my wife is no rookie at dressing a deer and she started it while i took a quick nap
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 11:06:03 PM by Irish_Alley »

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2015, 02:01:00 AM »
Nice. I wish my girlfriend would get into that. She thinks animals are cute and fuzzy like bamby, rocky and bowinkle. She don't even like it when I blast the stupid gophers destroying my lawn with 12 gauge buck shot.

I get even tho, pick the mince meat gopher up with a shovel and chase her round the yard with it. Hilarious every time lol.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2015, 04:49:23 AM »
sad part is i think know shes done more deer than me. not to long ago she was trapping and skinning everything herself. keeps me on my toes and i know not to screw up lol.

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2015, 09:50:45 AM »
Haha I got her a 3 inch pink and camo pocket knife for Christmas 2 years ago. Ever since then, she said she keeps it in her purse so if needed she can stick people. She calls it her shank LOL.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 09:53:34 AM by LTZ C20 »
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2015, 11:52:47 PM »
well after a long wait i finally had some time and weather was above 40°. i tried to fit the motor in without moving the trans back and i could fit it but the fan pulley was about an inch from the rad. so that ideal was out. so im going to have to push the trans back took the rear driveshaft out and start to mod the front cross member so the oil pan clears

im going to hopefully get the motor bolted in today. but on a side note since i have to push the trans back it makes the rear driveshaft too long and the front will now be too short. so im going to lift the truck about 4" so it makes up hopefully for the rear driveshaft. havnt figured out what to do with the front but i might have one laying around. for some reason i have a fetish about driveshafts and if i see one i got to have it lol

the width i cut out was about 14". the oil pan fits BUT next time i'll do 15-16" just to give it a little more clearance
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 11:05:34 PM by Irish_Alley »