Author Topic: Frame-mounted fuel pump for 1987 TBI with dual tanks  (Read 1157 times)

Offline CreightonC

• Newbie here but well seasoned in this hobby
Frame-mounted fuel pump for 1987 TBI with dual tanks
« on: November 09, 2020, 08:34:31 AM »
Has anyone converted the TBI in-tank fuel pumps to a single frame-mounted fuel pump and if so what pump did you use? Also Both sending units are bad on my son's truck and the driver's side is out of stock everywhere I've looked. IF a frame-mounted pump will work can I use the 3-outlet sending units for a pre-TBI truck? They are the same as the "pump-in-tank" sending units but without the pump.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Frame-mounted fuel pump for 1987 TBI with dual tanks
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 02:40:51 PM »
Factroy GM TBI needs ~11 PSI uninterrupted fuel pressure.  Finding a suitable inline pump may be difficult.  Although I've never searched for a standalone inline substitute, neither have I discovered one inadvertently.  Too little pressure will cause significant drivability symptoms.  Too much pressure will heat the fuel unnecessarily.  In addition, electric pumps function better as pushers, so drawing fuel from the tanks through a selector valve may prove troublesome on a pressure-sensitive TBI system.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline CreightonC

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 04:01:31 PM »
Thanks, trouble is that they have stopped producing the in-tank 3-outlet unit. Can I use a 4-outlet and plug one of the outlets?

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 09:01:26 PM »
Tanks Inc carries the fuel sending unit/pump with 3 (Supply, Return, and Vent).

https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=61/mode=cat/cat61.htm
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline CreightonC

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 07:57:55 AM »
Good info, thaks!