Author Topic: 1983 C10 - Carb Problems/adjustment(choke??)  (Read 4382 times)

Offline THE-JOSHTER

1983 C10 - Carb Problems/adjustment(choke??)
« on: March 17, 2021, 05:46:24 PM »
Hey folks
Pretty new to this forum and have been reading a ton and it’s really awesome. Just a quick intro I guess I’m from Canada and I bought myself an 83 C10 last June. It was drivin and stuff but everything was covered in gunk so I took it apart and drive it down to the truck wash. Replaced every single gasket and some new parts.

Being less than an amateur mechanic who had no business taking apart an engine with just a manual I decided not to mess around with the Carb and just sent it off to a “carb” shop.

Now I have trouble starting it and keeping it running. I’ve “diagnosed” everything as best as possible and it starts?

I’m thinking it’s the choke or something however I don’t know enough about carburetors and stuff to know what’s specifically wrong and what to adjust.

When I start it I have to crank it for a while. If I prop the choke open it’ll give immediately and I’ll remove the screw driver. I fiddled around with the idle speed to raise it and when the engine warmed up like three or four minutes the choke started to close and then the engine died. Also same thing happened cause I went in the cab to gas it and it died when I stepped on the accelerator. Any help would be appreciated . Still in the process of obtaining a tach and vacuum reader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: 1983 C10 - Carb Problems/adjustment(choke??)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 06:20:27 PM »
What carb shop did you take it to? Looks like they sprayed it off with carburetor cleaner. A proper rebuild should be tanked and spotless. What's up with that clear hose?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline THE-JOSHTER

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 08:02:35 PM »
What carb shop did you take it to? Looks like they sprayed it off with carburetor cleaner. A proper rebuild should be tanked and spotless. What's up with that clear hose?
Just a shop in my local area. They have a “carb” guy there. First time going it was about 300 dollars. Invoice says I got charged for a rebuild kit.

The clear line was my fault. Didn’t know the trick for removing the meta line and began unscrewing the fuel filter nut and wrenched the line apart. It’s flushed and I also used to to verify fuel was getting pumped. Will get a metal line soon hopefully

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 04:29:40 PM »
Run a proper fuel line. Once you do that, check for vacuum leaks and if it still RLS, take it back or get your $300 can of carburetor cleaner. Your best bet is to have it rebuilt by a professional, that is not acceptable for $300.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 09:41:21 PM »
You can order new oem metal fuel lines.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline TexasRed

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 12:32:45 AM »
Since you guess you're from Canada, it may not be cheap to get the metal fuel lines. Should be able to get the regular black rubber hose, from an auto parts store, that's RATED for gasoline. Doesn't need to be rated for the pressure of fuel injection.

There are TYGON fuel lines, which are clear-ish. But that may be a little $$. And I don't think they'll like the heat underneath the hood.

Also be careful of running the hose/line near the heater core lines, don't want the heat up the fuel too much.

edit: added commas and corrected some grammar
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 09:09:45 AM by TexasRed »

Offline THE-JOSHTER

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2021, 03:04:26 PM »
Yeah. I got the black hose at a local store. The metal one is order in but it’s not over the top expensive. I’m still having the same problem however

Offline TexasRed

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 05:21:16 PM »
So I'm assuming that YOU took the carburetor off and delivered to the shop for the rebuild? That's quite a bit of money even in CAD for a bench rebuild especially one that looks like that afterwards.

I'd reach out to the shop.

Is this your first vehicle with a carburetor?

Offline THE-JOSHTER

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2021, 06:09:09 PM »
So I'm assuming that YOU took the carburetor off and delivered to the shop for the rebuild? That's quite a bit of money even in CAD for a bench rebuild especially one that looks like that afterwards.

I'd reach out to the shop.

Is this your first vehicle with a carburetor?
That’s what I did. Took it in a box. Honestly not sure what to call them out on or get back at this point.

And yes this is my first vehicle with a carb. I am trying to learn more and research

Offline TexasRed

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2021, 08:34:55 PM »
Normally when you start a vehicle with a carburetor, you first press the gas at least once to set or "close" the choke. Usually just tip in or you can press once to the floor and then slight another press to set the choke.

As it runs the choke starts to open.

The shop should have dipped the carburetor metal parts in a container of carb cleaner. The top looks like it still has a lot of dirt still on it.

If you call them and explain the problems, they may let you borrow a tach and vacuum gage in order to potentially get it running enough to bring it to them to check their work. I'd do as VileZambonie suggested and make sure you don't have any vacuum hoses disconnected or something else leaking vacuum which will cause an issue.

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2021, 09:22:21 PM »
It was drivin and stuff but everything was covered in gunk so I took it apart and drive it down to the truck wash.

If I prop the choke open it’ll give immediately and I’ll remove the screw driver. I fiddled around with the idle speed to raise it and when the engine warmed up like three or four minutes the choke started to close and then the engine died. 

'Josh'? Welcome from SoCal San Diego. And welcome to the world of Square Bodies! You are in for an adventure if you have the ***** to stick it out. There will be a lot of people willing to help you out, but know one thing, you need to be specific in what you ask. If you don't understand it, that's OK. Look at this as a team of enthusiasts with the same goal.

We all started somewhere... Just be patient with yourself as you grow in understanding. One day you may be able to help a fellow SB brother/sister with a problem.

Regarding the 'carb rebuild', I agree with the foregoing remarks. You need to get that resolved first. Either refund, or some other resolution. Future mechanical work that is not as cerebral, brakes pads or shoes, radiator flush, Tire Pressure...?

The first question on 'it was drivin'.  Was it driving ok prior to your wash down?

Second, your description of the choke operation is confusing. Can you video tape the " If I prop the choke open it’ll give immediately and I’ll remove the screw driver. I fiddled around with the idle speed to raise it and when the engine warmed up like three or four minutes the choke started to close and then the engine died."

Along with the earlier comments, your choke may be the problem but it's hard to tell without specific information or video of what is happening. Too much conflicting info at this time.

I look forward to offering assistance. I'm sure I speak for others as well.

1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline TexasRed

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2021, 09:42:17 AM »
Hopefully you did not take offense at anything I said. Any grief I was giving you was in jest. Also, the comment about the expensiveness of metal lines was due to the fact that Canada isn't that far away yet some of the pricing is due to high tariffs, etc. Also, it wouldn't seem to affect your problem if you had rubber lines, in fact a lot of us have rubber fuel lines.

I just didn't want to make you feel unwelcome since the typed word is hard to convey certain things sometimes.

Offline THE-JOSHTER

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2021, 12:12:06 PM »
Hopefully you did not take offense at anything I said. Any grief I was giving you was in jest. Also, the comment about the expensiveness of metal lines was due to the fact that Canada isn't that far away yet some of the pricing is due to high tariffs, etc. Also, it wouldn't seem to affect your problem if you had rubber lines, in fact a lot of us have rubber fuel lines.

I just didn't want to make you feel unwelcome since the typed word is hard to convey certain things sometimes.
Oh no for sure mate. I wouldn’t crack that easily it’s all fine. I had the rubber hose on initial but it’s a tight bend at that junction so the thin line just gives a little easier. I do have the metal line on order from   and it’s not that bad. I’m currently trying to source a double d bit to adjust my carb but no luck. I did some reading and I figure the mixture could be the problem but until I try and set it I won’t know.

Offline THE-JOSHTER

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2021, 01:03:51 AM »
OK... so round 2

Carb shop wont budge on a refund... dunno possible its a dead end

I cant figure out how to load a video up on this site so i may have to try it on a computer later...

Ive gotten it to where it starts on a  few cranks now. I got my hands on a carb adjustment tool and seated the screws and then turned them 1 1/2 turns out. My start procedure is that i floor the gas pedal and then crank it. however after it starts and i remove my foot it stalls immediately. I played around with the idle screw but that didnt do much and once the engine heated up it wouldnt start again (unless i propped the choke open with a screwdriver) and i could see heavy vapor coming out the top of the carb...

Not sure what that means. Still waiting on my metal line to be shipped in. Ill try and get a video on tomorrow AM

Offline DanMcG

• Registered Users
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2021, 02:01:36 AM »
Your choke shouldn't be closed after it warms up. I'd adjust the choke so it's always open for now and see if it will stay running. Also check the spark plugs, they may be fouled.
Oh and welcome from Central NY