Author Topic: Smog Pump Issue  (Read 2953 times)

Offline RVimana

Smog Pump Issue
« on: June 29, 2018, 07:53:51 AM »
Hello All,
I have a 1987 Chevy P30 chassis with a 7.4L 454 that sits underneath a Class A motor home (24'). It was a daily driver for a few months (long story), but didn't miss a beat. Pulled it into the driveway around X-Mas 2017 and had started it a few times (once a month). Last time I started it - heard a horrible squeal.

Air pump - or smog pump - seized up. Belt was screaming. Ordered the pump through Summit Racing, it comes in a week early.

However, despite the casting numbers matching up, the mounting holes are reversed. In other words, the 'thru' hole on the original is now two sections and threaded (on both sides), while the top/outer mounting hole which had a short bolt in it - is now a thru hole.

Due to the inlet and outlet hose attachments, I don't understand how this pump could possibly be reversed to accommodate these mounting holes. The metal fitting outlet on the new pump is right against the block and I'd have to believe that it would melt any hose attached to it.

I'm not much of a car guy except for getting behind the wheel. I'm looking to explore my options and bounce an idea off a person or three who has a much better grasp on the best way to proceed...

> I've found that there may be a simple pulley that bolts on in place of this smog pump and bypasses all the hoses and stuff. Not sure if this is true - I wasn't certain what part to get and would rather not just pull stuff off that I "think" I don't need.

> I thought I might just drill out the threaded holes on the new pump just enough so I can get the original through bolt in, then just use a new long bolt to attach at the top (to pass through that long hole). Would this cause any stability or pulley misalignment issues?

I have new belts and am ready to do something - just not sure what.

Anyone have any suggestions? Or am I just totally missing this whole deal and there's a simple way to put this square peg in this round hole right in front of my face?

THANK YOU FOR ANY ASSISTANCE!

In friendship,
Erich, RVimana

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
Re: Smog Pump Issue
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 09:11:39 AM »
Welcome to the site.
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 08:05:07 PM »
You have a California emissions pump and purchased a federal emissions pump. the simple solution is to return it and get the correct one. Try Cardone 32-259
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline RVimana

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 01:57:12 PM »
Hi VileZamboni,
It sure would be easier to tell if they had different numbers or a "-C" or something. I've contacted Cardone and should hear back shortly.

Appreciate your insight!

RVimana

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 05:11:52 PM »
I'm not sure I follow. Just be aware that a housing casting number is not the same as a manufacturer part #
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline RVimana

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 09:49:22 AM »
Hi VileZambonie,
Upon speaking with Cardone, it did seem that I needed the 32-259 according to her as well. Luckily, Rock Auto had one in stock and it arrived a few days later.

Of course, this was still yet another incarnation of this pump, as the bolt on pipe that was on the end is now on the side of the casting. It does have the mounting holes at the end, but that hole (on this pump) was plugged.

Installed it anyway, skewed that attachment pipe a little bit and it ran the bus for a few minutes without any pump issues.

Thanks to everyone for the assistance. I have another 454 problem, though. It's unrelated to this and posted in a new thread. Opinions and suggestions are always welcome!

In friendship,
RVimana