Author Topic: Brown/white strip wire  (Read 3827 times)

Offline bagaco7

• New Users
Brown/white strip wire
« on: September 10, 2012, 11:50:57 AM »
I replaced the alternator on my 78 K10 truck, & now it melted a brown/white striped wire, blowing two fuses radio/TCS & instrument cluster feed. Traced & replaced the brown/white striped wire & it runs from the fuse box to the ignition starter switch on the steering column. Checked all effected wires and they are good.

Can the alternator regulator or ignition starter switch be bad?

What does (SXL) and (HXL) stand for I see this on some wires in the wire diagrams ?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 04:14:55 PM by bagaco7 »

Offline Tx_Phil

• Registered Users
Re: Brown/white strip wire
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 12:03:21 PM »
I don't have an answer for you but maybe a bump to the top will help someone who does see your question.

Offline gildardo01

• Frequent Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 01:35:14 PM »
 im not really sure what could be the problem... i think you can start by testing the alternator for a 13, 14 volt direct current... and see what comes up... what i do know for sure is what sxl wire stand for... it has to do with the type of wire... for example sxl is a high heat wire... and hxl i dont know what it is...

check this website they have the wire definition.... http://www.awcwire.com/ProductTOC.aspx?id=Automotive-Primary-Wire

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 02:03:03 PM »
Where's the brn/wht wire located/connected?  HXL and SXL identify the insulation specifications for the respective wire.  Generally, the insulation is cross-linked polyethylene and has higher temperature and o-zone tolerance than standard PVC insulation.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)