Author Topic: Steering  (Read 6979 times)

Offline roadrunnerkitten

Steering
« on: June 14, 2018, 01:04:39 PM »
I need a lil help. 83 k10 daily driver after I make turns steering wheel never returns to same location. Previously replaced power steering pump drag link ball joints ect.  just a steering wheel issue doesn’t return to location after turns. What is causing this? Thanks for any advice...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Steering
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 01:14:55 PM »
is there any play in the wheel? im thinking maybe the worm gear in the steering box is worn and causing that issue but idk. i would try and do a dry check to see if other parts like the intermediate shaft does it then check with the pitman arm also does it
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline roadrunnerkitten

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 01:22:55 PM »
is there any play in the wheel? im thinking maybe the worm gear in the steering box is worn and causing that issue but idk. i would try and do a dry check to see if other parts like the intermediate shaft does it then check with the pitman arm also does it
Thanks irish.  No play n pitman arm to column to steering wheel. Odd huh. Seems tight . Is there something to tighten n column?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 01:25:45 PM »
there is spins on the intermediate shaft and a "C" clamp but if thats messed up i doubt you would be able to turn at all

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 03:40:02 PM »
Frame cracked?
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline roadrunnerkitten

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 06:33:49 PM »
Frame cracked?
Ty zeig. I checked for cracks. None . What about bad rag joint? Would it cause this?

Offline Rattler12

• Registered Users
  • Old Geezer
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 07:44:17 AM »
caster is wonky
83 C-10 shorty 454, 5spd, 3:73 posi

Offline roadrunnerkitten

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 09:40:25 AM »
caster is wonky
Thanks rattler. Im gonna check out

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 10:14:28 AM »
How are your front axle u-joints? 
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline roadrunnerkitten

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 11:06:40 AM »
How are your front axle u-joints?
I appreciate ur help zieg.  I have looked all over. Nothin dry or too worn. Replaced drag link recently but steering issue was prior also. It’s like after a turn steering wheel ends up n different spot. Pretty far off from b4 turning. Also hit bump on curve, truck stays straight. Then catches . Wish i could figure it out...
Thanks alot for everyone’s help!!

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 11:24:55 AM »
my thinking is since the steering is pretty much solid from one point to the other you have maybe one option and thats inside if the steering box itself. try jacking the front end up and with the steering wheel lock active (key in off position) try turning the left front tire left and right and see if it moves. if it moves then watch the pitman arm and see if it moves then see if the steering intermediate shaft moves (remember they work on different ratios so they wont move at the same pace) try and find where the movement stops at.

Offline roadrunnerkitten

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 11:31:30 AM »
my thinking is since the steering is pretty much solid from one point to the other you have maybe one option and thats inside if the steering box itself. try jacking the front end up and with the steering wheel lock active (key in off position) try turning the left front tire left and right and see if it moves. if it moves then watch the pitman arm and see if it moves then see if the steering intermediate shaft moves (remember they work on different ratios so they wont move at the same pace) try and find where the movement stops at.
Time to jack it up.. thanks again irish. I gotta figure this one out. Its like a challenge problem  solving and all input is helpful. I’m really just gettin started with my rebuild after saving ol girl from a shade tree months ago. When i got her, she wouldn’t run at all. Now i can drive her anytime lol, if steering permits lol. Pics otw. Hoping for any advice....

Offline roadrunnerkitten

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 11:36:58 AM »
Time to jack it up.. thanks again irish. I gotta figure this one out. Its like a challenge problem  solving and all input is helpful. I’m really just gettin started with my rebuild after saving ol girl from a shade tree months ago. When i got her, she wouldn’t run at all. Now i can drive her anytime lol, if steering permits lol. Pics otw. Hoping for any advice....

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 11:37:20 AM »

Offline roadrunnerkitten

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 12:04:38 PM »
Great quote Sherlock H.  I have to bring this ol girl down n size to bring her back to lyfe!! Mission improbable lol