Author Topic: cheapest way of lowering a truck  (Read 6953 times)

Offline 87swb

• Frequent Member
cheapest way of lowering a truck
« on: November 29, 2004, 10:30:00 PM »
2wd swb 87. thinking of taking out the bottom leaf spring. will it sit higher in the front than in the back. i want it to sit a little bit lower in the back.
any suggestions

Show results

Offline Sano

Re: cheapest way of lowering a truck
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 10:38:00 PM »
I really don't know why you would do that, but taking out leaf springs will lower it a little, but the ride will get rougher in the rear for each leaf you take out.

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: cheapest way of lowering a truck
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 10:39:00 PM »
Removing the bottom leaf or the helper spring?
If you are removing the helper, it will drop the amount of thickness of the helper.  If you remove the leaf it might go 1/2"

If you want it level, get a shackle kit.  

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline 87swb

• Frequent Member
to roundedline
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 03:49:00 PM »
people always told me i could do that the cheapest way. just wondering what ya'll thought. how much does a shackle kit run anyway for my truck.

Offline Sano

shackle kit
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 07:10:00 PM »
belltech actually makes a 1" shackle kit for the rear and that is about $40. A belltech 4" rear shackle and flip kit is $160 or so. The back is always pretty cheap to lower compared to the front...

Offline 87swb

• Frequent Member
Re: shackle kit
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 07:16:00 PM »
appreciate it Sano and Roundedline

Offline RSBAD454

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 09:36:00 AM »
there is not cheap way really...best way is to purcahse a BellTech lowering kit and be done with it.:smokin  

Toys are my game

“If you're listening to a rock star in order to get your information on who to vote for, you're a bigger moron than they are.”
http://prosites-prs.homestead.com/
http://

Offline 87swb

• Frequent Member
shackle kit
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 07:29:00 PM »
if i do lower it i probably will buy a shackle kit from Bell Tech. im just on a tight budget. thanks for the info on Bell Tech, couple of others on here referred Bell Tech too.

Offline RSBAD454

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004, 12:52:00 PM »
If you're on a budget....save a little here and there and eventually buy what you want. Don't be in a hurry and just buy something cause you feel you need to or are in a hurry to lower truck. I use to always be in a hurry and settle for something I didnt want or could afford at the time. 8)  

Toys are my game

“If you're listening to a rock star in order to get your information on who to vote for, you're a bigger moron than they are.”
http://prosites-prs.homestead.com/
http://

Offline 87swb

• Frequent Member
shackle kit
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2004, 09:43:00 PM »
that's probably good advice.

Offline infantry vet

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2004, 09:54:00 PM »
87swb im in your shoes,im looking for the cheapest way as well.i just dont feel like putting too much money in it.i just want it low,im not really concerned with ride quality as its just a work/play truck.not looking to invest in spindles etc..im just trying to git r done:lol  

Offline kel

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2005, 12:57:00 PM »
I might think your not concerned with how smooth the ride is but you will. My truck was lowered the cheap way and the ride beats your kidneys to death.:\

But if you are looking for the cheapest way to do it this might work.  Put some weight in the bed then take a torch and start heating the leaf springs until you get the height you want. Be careful not to cut the springs. Try using a rosebud tip on your torch.

To do the front, remove the coil spring and cut some off the the bottom. Make sure you cut the same amount off both springs. This will keep the ride a little smoother.  If you are scared to cut them you can leave them in put some weight on them and heat them like the leaf springs.

Just remember, you start heating stuff there's no going back.>:  

Offline 87swb

• Frequent Member
shackle kit
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2005, 07:02:00 PM »
yeah i thought about doing that. but you're right once heated can't go back. there is another way i forgot to mention. put the axle on top of the leaf springs and flip the U-bolts. i've seen this on many trucks.

Offline Sano

lowering
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2005, 08:28:00 PM »
a flip kit is cheap and makes your truck low but is can sometimes result in some axle wrap.

Offline BadDually

Re: lowering
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2005, 08:01:00 PM »
I just put 2" shackles on the back of my duelly, was just enough to "even" the truck out. Total cost for shackles was $50ish. Took about an hour to change them out.