Author Topic: Flip kit confusion  (Read 3026 times)

Offline Heysq86

Flip kit confusion
« on: June 25, 2018, 10:32:33 PM »
I installed a flip kit from Western Chassis and after comparing the measurements before and after, my truck lowered 7 inches when the kit was advertised as 4.5/5.5.  I put on new rear leaf springs with 5 leafs and new stock rear shackles and have not tightened any of the spring bolts yet.  Why did it lower 7 inches?  That is more than I wanted as I do not want the back to be lower than the front.  It has 2.5 drop spindles and 1 inch lower springs on the front.  Original springs were 4 leafs so that is what I bought and thought that was the problem so then bought the 5 leaf rear springs....rating is 1290 lbs and 1950 lbs respectively...with very little difference.  I have yet put on the new rear shocks but can't see that helping.
Has anyone run into this issue and offer any help?  Thanks in advance.

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
Re: Flip kit confusion
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 06:17:57 AM »
Welcome to the site.
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline Captain Swampy

• Wisconsin
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 08:35:43 AM »
Is the arch of the new springs different than the old ones?
1987  350TBI 700R4  4X4  4.56 gears  33" BFG All Terrain

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=32209.0

Offline irk_miller

• Site Supporters
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 08:41:47 AM »
Usually the flip kits are a range and not an actual drop, as they're different for different trucks.  Mine was 6".  I got an 8" drop from the flip kit and a 2" shackle.
Only dead fish follow the stream.

Offline Heysq86

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 12:06:37 PM »
To Capt.-   Arch is the same for old and new springs.

Irk -  I thought the same thing but with brand new springs I was thinking it would be pretty close to the specs.  When I put the new springs on the stock way, the back end went up about two inches so when I did the flip I thought it would be better with the new springs.  Not the case.  Not sure if I should go back to a different spring perch and shackles.  I'll put the bed on to see what it looks like and go from there.

Thanks all.

Offline Heysq86

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 12:17:03 PM »
Could I raise the truck up and then tighten all of the spring and shackle bolts or would that put the bushings in a bind and make them wear faster?  Here is a pic of the truck after flip kit.

Thanks,