Author Topic: Drop spindles  (Read 7576 times)

Offline c0olburn3r

Drop spindles
« on: July 07, 2014, 08:24:56 PM »
I purchased 2.5 drop spindle's for my 87 Silverado r10 long bed.
Everything went according to plan except that the center hub bolt on the spindle was little short not even a quarter of an inch,.

I had to drill a new hole for the cotter pin and  the wheel still spins free hand with no problem, when I dropped the truck and rolled it I heard a grinding noise, so I took the wheel off and in the back the weight was grinding on something, so I grinded the lower control arm a little and purchased a 5 /16 wheel spacers, if I go in reverse there is no noise, if I go forward its not so bad but I hear rubbing on both wheels.

Any help would be appreciated, tired of taking these dag on wheels in and out, my back is killing me .
This truck is my heart
Thanks in advance
Heavy Chevy

Offline jaredts

Re: Drop spindles
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 08:33:20 PM »
Are you sure that the bearing races are seated in the rotor and slid all the way onto the rotor?  I'm sure you checked it out thoroughly, but it seems fishy that you had to drill a new hole.  You can't see shined up metal where something is rubbing?

Offline c0olburn3r

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 08:56:39 PM »
I check everything cause if the rotor wasn't all the way in the brake pad caliper would not sit in place, its spinning with no problem when jacked up with and with out the rim. I will check it out again tho tomorrow, cause the balance weight on the back rim was rubbed on.

Thank you for the reply
Heavy Chevy

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 06:13:32 PM »
Sounds like you need to clearance the lower control arms.  What size rims?  I am guessing 15"

Offline c0olburn3r

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 09:55:24 AM »
Yes sir 15x8 I will grind them down some more around 1/4 inch from what I have been reading.
I will post for others to know in case they run into this kind of problem.
Heavy Chevy

Offline c0olburn3r

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 03:59:09 PM »
OK finally fixed.

First problem the center bolt on the spindle was to short so a friend of mine said (hey reverse the hex nut and that will give u all the room you need for the free play on the axle. That problem solved.

Second the grinding on the wheel.
had to take at least 3 inches past the front of the bottom lower control arm. that solved .

she runs like a dream and handles better than before.
Heavy Chevy

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 11:27:15 AM »
Yep, that is normal on some...

Offline FlatBlack77

• Cheap Fast Reliable - Pick 2
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 08:55:50 PM »
my 77 has 15x7 rallies on the front. if i get drop spindles will i still have to do this?
"When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail"
'77 C/10 - 350/350 mild street motor

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 11:56:47 PM »
Depends on the spindle manufacturer and amount if drop.  I would assume yes.

Chris Lucas
73-87chevytrucks.com
captkaoscustoms.com
squarebody.biz

Offline c0olburn3r

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 10:23:45 PM »
I agree with the man above. more than likely you have to. One thing that I forgot to mention on the lower control arm ball joint I tack welded underneath to give it the extra support due to the grinding around the lip.

next week I will flip the springs around the axle and finally  I will be cruising on the highway.

Heavy Chevy

Offline c0olburn3r

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 06:39:13 PM »
well it took a while to get back to my project of flipping the back rear end.

Took about two hours and a few curse words to get the bolts loose but all in all it was a breeze  vs the drop spindles in the front.

I'm going to have to go back to the front and cut one ring off the spring coil the stock ones cause dropping the back 5" it brought the front up a little so 2 more inches in the front should do the trick. Here are some pics of the back, and front

It only costed me 65 dollars for the back.

Heavy Chevy

Offline 87ChevyR10

• Registered Users
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2021, 09:42:15 AM »
well it took a while to get back to my project of flipping the back rear end.

Took about two hours and a few curse words to get the bolts loose but all in all it was a breeze  vs the drop spindles in the front.

I'm going to have to go back to the front and cut one ring off the spring coil the stock ones cause dropping the back 5" it brought the front up a little so 2 more inches in the front should do the trick. Here are some pics of the back, and front

It only costed me 65 dollars for the back.

You got a nice ride brother. Extra points with me cause mine appears to be the same height as yours