Author Topic: Fuel tank replacement  (Read 2624 times)

Offline Customdeluxe81

Re: Fuel tank replacement
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2021, 11:32:42 AM »
Ehjorten, that’s the kind of info I was hoping for, I’ll be by myself on this job. I do have two jacks but the little one won’t reach as high so I don’t know if it will be much good. I understand the basic idea of removing the tank and my truck is a 1981 so it’s pre fuel injection. I guess while looking the job over my concerns are the two hoses that go over the frame from the tank to the short steel Lines that run from the left side to the right side of the frame where two more rubber hoses connect to the steel lines that go to the fuel pump and the vapor canister. My I 6 cylinder truck only has two fittings on the fuel pump, 1 from the frame to the pump and 1 from the pump to the carburetor.... no bypass or return line back to the tank.
And as you said I usually slit the line to get it off but it sure don’t look like there is much room to get a razor knife in there and I have those pesky 3 tab spring clamps to deal with..... I just picked up some extra long needle nose pliers that may help with those.
Thanks for all your time in helping me with this. I’ll give a full report when it’s done!
Bill

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2021, 12:16:33 PM »
In case it wasn't mentioned already, ease of the job improves significantly with an empty tank, not only because of less weight but because of decreased fuel slosh that will shift the weight on the jack.  It is especially true when working alone.  Be mindful of sparks and keep a fully charged fire extinguisher handy.  These points may seem obvious but are easy to overlook as you begin the job.  Better to over-prepare and avert potential problems before they occur.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Customdeluxe81

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2021, 01:55:40 PM »
Thanks, the tank has less then 5 gallons in it. Fire extinguisher will be there.

Offline Customdeluxe81

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2021, 08:29:57 PM »
Ok so here’s how this all turned out. Spent most of yesterday getting the tank out and the hangers changed over to the new tank and the new sender installed. A couple take always..... with the rear of the tank lower then the front I could reach up with a long screw driver and pop the sender wire off but I couldn’t get the rubber fuel lines off so I cut them. I did measure the distance between the hangers so I could set them in the same position so I had no issues with the bolts when I went back together, that worked well. Going back together was not as straight forward, the big problem seemed to be connecting the short rubber lines, what ended up working was putting the short fuel line on the sender first and clamped it before putting the tank up, then loosned the short  steel lines that run behind the cab and when the tank was fully in position I could feed the steel fuel line into the rubber line already installed on the sender. Then I could drop the tank a little and with a really long pair of harbor freight Vice grips I could then put the vapor line on in the same manor. I also found with the tank lowered slightly I could reach up between the tank and the frame and over the tank and put the sender wire on by feel. The rest of the install went without a hitch. Would I do it again? Probably.... but not alone! But on a good note I only skinned one knuckle!

Online Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2021, 09:28:07 AM »
One knuckle?  Heck, you got away cheap!  8)
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline Customdeluxe81

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2021, 12:58:21 PM »
I was starting to think I was going to get away clean I had the tank complete and I was replacing the long fuel line that runs from the pump to the tank area down the passenger side frame.... and before ya know it I was cussing and bleeding! ;D

Online Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2021, 03:46:59 PM »
You do know that GM intentionally sharpens that area, right?
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline Customdeluxe81

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2021, 03:53:50 PM »
I KNEW IT!!!!!