Author Topic: No fuel  (Read 5806 times)

Offline Bowtie4004x4

No fuel
« on: September 07, 2008, 12:16:20 PM »
 I have two S-10 Trucks one being '87 one '88. My problem is with the '88, which in all aspects I can see is identical to the '87 with the exception of 5 speed tranny and Air Conditioning.
  With that being said, the '88 starts and runs fine until it is warmed up good then shut off. At that point it will not start. After some investigation I found that the throttle body is not giving out gas for some reason. If I put gas into the throttle body manually (from a can or bottle squirted directly into the throttle body) it will start and most often run ok. Sometimes even this does not make it run, runs till the gas is used up then dies.
  In addition, this truck will leave me stranded at times, and even the gas in the throttle body trick does not work, but time does...if I wait long enough, 30 minutes or a bit more, it will eventually start on it's own.
  I have replaced the computer, injector, fuel filter, plugs/wires, Map sensor, Idle air control Valve (might be called Air idle control valve) Took the entire throttle body off the '87 and swapped them totally out. (the '87 doesn't have this issue)  My next attempt to fix this truck will be a new fuel pump as someone said it could be getting weak causing the fuel issue. (shrug) I'm about game to anything at this point.
  It almost seems like it is vapor locking.
  I live around 15 miles from work and I can drive the truck to and from work with no issue as long as thats all the stop and go it does, to work shut off work 10 hours then start up and drive home.

Any ideas?? I consider myself to be fairly knowledgable about these trucks as I have owned the '87 for several years, rebuilt the engine due to blown headgasket and several other things.
  I should say it has the 2.5L 4cyl in it I guess as well.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/help. This thing has me pulling out what hair I have left.
I'm spending my children's inheritance on my Trucks.
'78 3/4 fleetside 4x4 4oo/400 3:73gears (frame off rebuild)
'80 3/4 fleetside 4x4 305/400 4:10gears (if I took the body off the frame it would fall totally apart...lol )

Offline camdenoilchange

• Registered Users
Re: No fuel
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 01:00:58 PM »
could be a fuel pump. besides, you have replaced everything else. good luck!

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 03:16:26 PM »
Sounds like you probably have a bad distributor pick up coil. You're most likely losing injector pulse and spark. See if you have good spark next time it dies.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline dumbucket1

• Too Many Trucks
  • Coal Hauler
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 03:22:54 PM »
I had an 87 s-10 with the 2.5 that did the exact same thing. Never did figure it out after replacing many parts. I ended up selling it
Chevy and GMC trucks ranging from 1973 to 2007

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 04:11:31 PM »
My 79 big 10 used to not want to start after she was warm.  If I waited 10-15 minutes, she'd then fire up and go.
Solution?  I put in a used distributor from salvage yard.  No more problem.
What makes me mad was the distributor that was in it was brand new from NAPA.  I am sure it was the pickup coil, i just replaced the entire distributor for $20.

Take the distributor out of your good truck and swap it.  If everything is the same.  See what happens.

Offline Bowtie4004x4

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 12:40:10 AM »
 The pick up coil sounds like just the ticket, so I changed it a while back. I forgot to mention that fact in my earlier post. However, it has what is called a Hall Effect switch that comes up at the parts store when they look up a pick up coil. Does it do the same thing (replace the normal looking pick up coil) or does it have another function? According to my research, the Hall Effect switch senses engine RPM and if under 400 RPM sends the fuel to the engine without running the signal thru the other sensors. (ie. MAP, Temp, Oxygen, etc.) Once engine RPM is over 400, then the computer and sensors kick in. I think (not sure at all) that the dist. also has the "normal" looking pick up coil. 

Any idea's? Thanks for  your advice all, and SgtDel I will swap the dist. from the good truck to the sick one as soon as I can. I would like to eventually have them both fixed. I guess if the dist. fixes one I'll get a replacement for the other. I would rather KNOW what is causing it than swap parts.  :)
'80 3/4 fleetside 4x4 305/400 4:10gears (if I took the body off the frame it would fall totally apart...lol )

Offline Bowtie4004x4

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 04:23:53 PM »
 So far so good, swapped the dist a week ago and haven't had the issue since. Haven't driven it much but it seems like that is going to do the trick.

Thanks Vile and SgtDel for the heads up. I just assumed (one should never do this) that the pickup coil they offered would have fixed the problem, but due to the "Hall Effect" not actually being the Pick up coil I guess it didn't solve it.