Author Topic: 1975 chevy k10 with 350 small block questions about doing engine top end.  (Read 2831 times)

Offline Sawilli95

So I'm looking to put on some higher compression aluminum heads and do a cam kit with lifters and New rockers but need to know what the stock specs for the oem heads are and what the stock cam and lifters. Or what is a current head/cam system setup someone is running?

Offline Sawilli95

NEED HELP WITH CHOSING A CAM KIT AND ALUMINUM HEADS
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 08:33:58 AM »
So I've got a 75 k10 with the 350 small block and I'm going to rebuild the whole motor but want to put in a slightly more aggressive cam kit and some aluminum heads and am looking for some input on what a good route to go would be, I'm looking for low end to mid end power. I will also be changing my intake manifold and carburator, and doing a 2.5 header and exhaust system.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: NEED HELP WITH CHOSING A CAM KIT AND ALUMINUM HEADS
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 08:49:43 AM »
So what do you need help in choosing between or do you not have anything in mind yet?

Things to consider will be your compression ratio, what gear ratio and tires are you running? Is it a daily driver, weekend warrior? What are you going after in terms of an end goal? Everyone can start throwing suggestions at you but we need to know better what you are trying to achieve.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
If you are looking for factory specs, refer to the service manual

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=30115.0
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
The typical formula is to start out by building a short block, and using a good set of aluminum heads that will give you about 9.5 compression with the pistons you use.   IF you are getting a complete kit, you might consider a 383 stroker kit.  GM Vortec heads with 64cc chamber are a good choice also, but I think I would spend the extra for something like the Promaxx aluminum heads (relatively inexpensive).

Then pick your intake manifold - probably something like the dual plane Edelbrock performer, since an air gap manifold might affect cold weather driveability.  If you are willing to rebuild your Quadrajet, that is a good carb, otherwise pick your favorite 600-750 cfm carburetor.

The cam choice will depend on how the rest of your truck is setup.  Most of the time you need low end torque, not high RPM HP, so don't go for a cam that is designed to move a Camaro. Something with lift like the Summit 1102 (204/214 @ .050 lift) is probably a good choice, but I think I would pick something from the Lunati line of cams.  I would also go the extra mile and buy a roller retro-fit cam, but that's more for durability than performance. 

A high stall torque converter would help get you up into the right RPM, but don't get carried away.  Then install headers and full dual exhaust with an H-pipe and low restriction mufflers.  2 1/4" pipe would be big enough, but you can go for larger.

If you plan to run big tires, the next step may be to move to 4.10 gears.

Bruce