Author Topic: My eventual 5.3 swap  (Read 2552 times)

Offline dajn35

My eventual 5.3 swap
« on: November 02, 2016, 10:40:24 PM »
I figured I would start this thread and hope I get somewhere with this project.  A couple months ago I bought an 86 c10 Silverado.  Has a 305 and hasn't ran in years.  A couple weeks ago I bought a solid running  clean 2wd 2005 tahoe with 190k miles.  It was a former police vehicle.  I paid $800 for the 86 and $1500 for the tahoe so I feel like I am off to a good start.  So obviously I want to junk the tahoe and build the 86.  Problem is the tahoe is looking better by the day and is almost too good to junk plus my girlfriend wants it.  I knew I should have hid it from her.  Oh well.  So hopefully this turns into a build thread eventually to completion.  Any advice is appreciated.  I have a long commute to work and I want an older pickup with a 5.3 so I can have reliability, power and decent mileage.  I really don't want to go over 8k into it when it's done.  If that is unrealistic, let me know.  I might not be able to junk the tahoe for a year or so but I will bump the thread when I start the conversion and hopefully some users can help me along the way.  I plan on doing as much of it as possible by myself. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 10:42:33 PM by dajn35 »

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: My eventual 5.3 swap
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 07:36:58 AM »
ill say this $1500 for a Tahoe is too much just to use the motor and scrap the rest imo. if the tahoe is in good shape keep it and look for a crashed tahoe for much less or even a pickup might be cheaper
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline dajn35

Re: My eventual 5.3 swap
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 12:11:08 PM »
I have researched some but I still don't know much yet.  I was thinking that it would be possible to take the engine, transmission and rear axle.  Then I would need a drive shaft made.  To have rear disc drakes and the engine and transmission from the tahoe might make it worth scraping but I think your right and I should look for a smashed one or use my 2000 suburban which is getting pretty rusty.  I will make this happen one way or the other.