Author Topic: 81 K10 Cab Bushings R&R  (Read 1485 times)

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
81 K10 Cab Bushings R&R
« on: March 20, 2020, 10:45:42 AM »
I am a new member and thought I would share my experience with the cab and radiator support bushing replacement. I bought Prothane's polyurethane bushing set of 6 and since they do not come with hardware I cleaned my bushing hardware by soaking them in vinegar. Afterwards, I rinsed the parts off, metal prep, and used KBS rust seal prior to using them. Will attach some pics. The container shows the rust coming off the hardware. The condition of the bolts is a good indicator of why the bolts would not just come out without a lot of work. The bushing hardware was very rusty and after the vinegar soaking they came out looking good.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 02:03:29 PM by Mike81K10 »
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
Re: 81 K10 Cab Bushings R&R
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 11:15:59 AM »
My bushing bolts would not come out, even after soaking in rust blaster spray for a couple of days. The bolt would just spin and I found the best way to get them out was to cut a small hole inside the cab floor. I made a small foot print and then I made covers that I then screwed in place. You can see the cover plates in the cab picture. Making access plates made it possible to have access points for future needs and prevented the need to weld patch panels. I carefully measured the location of the bolt nut then cut a 3" x 1 3/4" for the rear cab bushing holes (the size is important to cut inside the floor supports which are 2" wide, so the cut is hidden from under the truck) for bolt access. The front holes are about 2" long (wide) instead of 3". I then fabricated the covers for the holes.

The nuts are in a nut plate and as you can see in the two pictures they just spin. The metal on the side of the nut plates is weak and gives way, allowing the nut to spin. To solve the problem, I cut two 1/16th to 1/8th pieces of steel and welded them in place on each side of the nut plate/nut. They have to be welded because the torque of the nut when you install the bolt will throw them out. The only way the bolts would come out is by heating the bolts threads with a torch, then they could be removed when you keep the nut from spinning in the nut plate housing with a couple of screw drivers. The appearance of moisture is all the oil I had used to try and loosen the bolts (without any luck - only heating with a torch worked). Afterwards, I cleaned, rust treatment, metal prepped, KBS rust seal, and the after drying I re-tapped the holes to ensure the new bolts would go in easy (with grease).
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 04:25:40 PM by Mike81K10 »
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 11:20:53 AM »
I am attaching some more pictures to include the finish. I used stainless steel bolts, they were a little long and I have to cut then a little bit. However, it all worked out well. Hope this helpd someone out.

PS: Attaching a better picture of the bushing nut that shows how it spins in the nut holder. Can fix it by welding in the steel plates on each side of it. The front floor pan bushing bolt holes should have a smaller hole cut to cut within the inside of the floor support.

I am attaching a picture of the two front floor pan bushing bolt nut access holes that I cut. The drivers side was slightly off but allows a good view underneath. I welded in a small piece of metal to make it square prior to installing a cover plate. The passenger side turned out perfect.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 04:59:24 PM by Mike81K10 »

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 07:59:30 PM »
Adding a few (hopefully) helpful pictures showing where I cut the holes for the Bushing access. You can see the cover plates I made instead of welding a patch panel. That way there can be future access if needed. Also have a oicture of a cab bushing chassis/cab mount area cleaned up. I added KBS rust seal prior to installing the bushings (all 6 - 4 cab and 2 radiator support)