Author Topic: Manual Transmissions / clutch linkage  (Read 2597 times)

Offline 84K10Hillbilly

Manual Transmissions / clutch linkage
« on: June 11, 2005, 09:35:00 PM »
I have an '84 K10 with throwout bearing problems. Several months ago when I engaged the clutch pedal  I noticed something didn't seem right. After tearing things down I found that the throwout bearing was in four pieces.  Move forward six months, bad grinding noise when the clutch is engaged. Another throwout bearing broke into. Anyone have any ideas as to what is causing this. It sure is getting time consuming making these repairs.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Manual Transmissions / clutch linkage
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 03:59:00 PM »
Are you sure its the right bearing? How about the input nose cone is it worn or bent? Is the linkage binding, bent or hob cobed?

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline 84K10Hillbilly

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 04:38:00 PM »
The folks at the parts house say it is the right bearing. I did notice that the shifting fork looked like it was worn and could possibly be causing the bearing to bind up. I have ordered another shifting fork and plan to try again.  All other linkage seems to be in good shape though.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 04:48:00 PM »
I would inspect the cone that the bearing rides on for wear too.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline 84K10Hillbilly

manual transmission / clutch linkage update
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 05:39:00 PM »
I thought I would send an update on my previous problem. I installed a new shifter fork and that seems to have solved the problem. The old fork had some bad wear problems and was jumping the race on the bearing which caused it to break.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice. I think I am up and running now.