Author Topic: long tube headers  (Read 22356 times)

Offline tvallaro

Re: long tube headers
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2016, 07:24:43 PM »
The Speed Engineering headers for C10 LS Swaps fit very well.  Automatic transmission trucks only.  They do say you need the MSD wires because the headers are tucked so close to the heads. Also, one thing to note with many of the long tube headers is that the collectors aim directly at the stock trans cross member.  Because of this I purchased the scorpion fabrication trans cross member available on this website.   I could have routed my exhaust down and around, but it wouldn't have looked good.  

http://store.73-87chevytrucks.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=7&Product_Code=SCRP7387&Category_Code=73-87UHood

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Tim
1981 C10 Custom Deluxe stepside
5.3 Vortec (LM7)
th350 automatic

Offline tvallaro

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2016, 07:26:04 PM »
I see that this is an old post, but it has plenty of views to merit a response in hopes of helping future swappers.

I had researched this topic earlier this year when I wanted to find affordable headers that would drop right in for my 5.3 swap.  During my search I came across a company named Speed Engineering. http://www.speed-engineering.com/  They sell a bunch of LSX conversion products, specifically they sell long tube headers for the C10 LS swap.  I purchased their headers and couldn't have been happier.  They dropped right in without any interference or modification. 

Polished 304 Stainless with 3" collectors.  You can buy them with either 1-3/4" or 1-7/8" primaries.  Under $300.

I was very impressed with the bend quality, weld quality, and fit of these headers.  Check them out. 

Tim
5.3 Vortec (LM7)
th350 automatic

Hey Tim, thank you for this post. I'm planning my swap now into a 86 gmc c10. I'm going to buy these headers after reading what you said  everything else I've researched had some figment issues.
What did you use for motor mounts? I have a th400. Did you buy a modded harness? Thanks in advance.
Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The motor mounts I used are from ICT Billet.  SBC to LS Engine Swap Bracket Set.   I bought them on Amazon.  

http://www.ictbillet.com/

These mounts adapt the stock 305/350 motor mounts.  My trans is a TH350, but that shouldn't matter for the motor mounts. 

I will post pictures once I create my build thread, but the ICT Billet website has some pretty clear pictures for reference.

Tim
5.3 Vortec (LM7)
th350 automatic

Offline djtman

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2016, 10:41:06 PM »
I see that this is an old post, but it has plenty of views to merit a response in hopes of helping future swappers.

I had researched this topic earlier this year when I wanted to find affordable headers that would drop right in for my 5.3 swap.  During my search I came across a company named Speed Engineering. http://www.speed-engineering.com/  They sell a bunch of LSX conversion products, specifically they sell long tube headers for the C10 LS swap.  I purchased their headers and couldn't have been happier.  They dropped right in without any interference or modification. 

Polished 304 Stainless with 3" collectors.  You can buy them with either 1-3/4" or 1-7/8" primaries.  Under $300.

I was very impressed with the bend quality, weld quality, and fit of these headers.  Check them out. 

Tim
5.3 Vortec (LM7)
th350 automatic

Hey Tim, thank you for this post. I'm planning my swap now into a 86 gmc c10. I'm going to buy these headers after reading what you said  everything else I've researched had some figment issues.
What did you use for motor mounts? I have a th400. Did you buy a modded harness? Thanks in advance.
Terry

The motor mounts I used are from ICT Billet.  SBC to LS Engine Swap Bracket Set.   I bought them on Amazon. 

http://www.ictbillet.com/

These mounts adapt the stock 305/350 motor mounts.  My trans is a TH350, but that shouldn't matter for the motor mounts. 

I will post pictures once I create my build thread, but the ICT Billet website has some pretty clear pictures for reference.
Thanks again. I don't want to replace crossmember, so I guess I am still searching. Thx for the advice.

Offline tvallaro

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2016, 11:48:28 PM »
With the speed engineering headers you have a good 6-10"" before your exhaust would need to bend to clear out of the way.  The reason I did not do that is because I didn't want to make a tight bend directly after the O2 sensor. The other reason is that my current exhaust setup is temporary and I installed it with clamps along with straight section of pipes.  The Scorpion cross member is double-humped so the pipes can go straight back.  The stock trans cross member is bolted on so removal is easy.  The Scorpion Fabrication cross member also uses bolts to attach.  All you need to do is drill a few holes in the frame and bolt it on. 

The picture below shows my setup (I just went in my garage and snapped the picture now).  On the left you can see the collector on the headers.  Attached to the collector is a 3" to 2.5" reducer.  You can see the tubular transmission cross member (Scorpion) above the pipes.  The trans mount bolts are in the same location as the stock cross member for the TH350.  As mentioned you would have 6-10" at the end of the collector before the stock cross member if.  I hope this helps. 

Tim
5.3 Vortec (LM7)
th350 automatic

Offline tvallaro

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2016, 11:51:17 PM »
I just went back through my phone.  Here is a picture of the passenger side Speed Engineering headers mocked up on the engine. 

Tim
5.3 Vortec (LM7)
th350 automatic

Offline Russ888

• New Users
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 11:56:21 AM »
Here are the headers I used on my 87, they fit very well and are relatively cheep for what they are. C10 LS Truck Longtube Headers 1 3/4" (Conversion Swap) LS1, LS2, LS3, LS6 they are on eBay for 249.00.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Offline ehjorten

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2017, 02:03:12 PM »
What long-tube headers are available for LS swap on a 4WD square-body?  I know the Schoenfeld ones, but I really don't want slip-fit collectors!  I don't want to take my entire exhaust loose to slide back the connections.  I would rather have traditional 3-bolt collectors, and I certainly do not want any aftermarket ball and socket collectors!

I have seen those Gibson ones, but don't know if C-10 headers will fit a 1991 V3500 and the Gibson ones are way too expensive!

Before the swap I had Doug Thorley headers in it with the 454.
-Erik-
1991 V3500 - Gen V TBI 454, 4L80E, NP205, 14 bolt FF, D60, 8" Lift on 35s
1977 K20 Silverado - 350, THM350, NP203, 14 bolt FF, D44, Stock Lift on 31s
1969 Chevelle Malibu Sport Coupe - EFI350, THM350
1968 Chevrolet Step-side Pickup - 300HP L6

Offline nighthawker5

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2017, 08:46:34 AM »
Try speed-engineering.com.  They offer polished stainless long tube headers.  I bought the 1.875" 2010 camaro headers for my 86 k20.  They fit nicely except you'll have to route the passenger side around the transmission cross member or move the cross member.  I'll post pics when i get them finished.