Author Topic: 1987 R10 Driver  (Read 290578 times)

Offline 82silverado

Re: 1987 R10 Driver
« Reply #360 on: February 01, 2017, 06:44:57 PM »
Very nice build and thread! Wow. When I started reading I was looking for something to help me in an upcoming swap which I found. Then it got radical. Didn't see that coming. You are making me want to get the GN back out the shed before I get started on my swap with all this turbo stuff! LOL! Took me 3 days in the evening after work to get to the end but was well worth it. Thanks for posting it. I have a few questions but, will post as they come up in my swap and will ask them when I get a build thread started.
82 Silverado 454/700R4
86 Buick GN
02 WS6

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #361 on: February 06, 2017, 10:34:06 PM »
Thanks!  Need to get time to add some more posted updates.

Filling in...
Sunday, January 17th, 2016: I was out in the truck for lunch and it started overheating.  After pulling over and inspecting everything I found this blown fuse, replaced it and was on my way.

Tuesday, January 18th, 2016:  While running to lunch smoke started pouring out the passenger side tailpipe.  I discovered that the Turbo Oil Scavenge pump decided to stop working.  I ended up having to replace it.  It made a nice mess everywhere.

Wednesday, March 19th, 2016: I got the braided lines in from Inlinetube.com  This is what I used to fix the bursting factory brake flex hoses. I modified the bracket during this time but is wasn't permanent.

Also during this time I started hearing a loud clunking noise from under the truck when shifting from reverse to drive.  I got home and got under it and discovered the nut, washer and lock washer were no longer on the transmission mount.

Monday, April 24th, 2016: This day I drove to work and on the way back from lunch I discovered a large oil puddle under where I had previously parked.  Getting out and inspecting it had a familiar smell but I couldn't place it.  On the way out I realized it was gear oil.  Upon inspection I found a bolt trying to exit my diff cover.

After getting home and pulling the cover I discovered the following.  It appears the person who put my rear gears in missed an important part of the equation, thread locker.  Needless to say my gearset was toast.

Wednesday, April 26th, 2016: Spent the evening pulling the rearend out to take it and get it fixed.  I got it back in on May 5th.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 07:43:23 PM by Captkaos »

Offline 82silverado

« Reply #362 on: February 07, 2017, 06:16:24 PM »
Looking forward to the next update. Very nice work indeed.
82 Silverado 454/700R4
86 Buick GN
02 WS6

Offline smpoulin1

« Reply #363 on: May 02, 2017, 10:05:49 PM »
Any updates Cap?
85 Silverado 350/700r4

Offline Red87

« Reply #364 on: May 19, 2017, 09:38:08 PM »

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #365 on: May 30, 2017, 08:56:44 PM »
I am slacking.  Right now the truck is at 32K miles.  I have a wastegate sticking I think or making a noise at boost which I hope is a wastegate.
And it is needing tires and the AC recharged after the aftermarket one blew last year.

Offline chiefmiller84

« Reply #366 on: June 02, 2017, 06:48:43 AM »
I just read this entire thread, so very awesome! It took me a few days in between work and family to get through, but I almost couldn't put it down! Thanks for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Philistine

• New Users
« Reply #367 on: October 23, 2017, 11:31:54 AM »
Having gone through the entire thread and seeing the pain you had with your fuel system, I'm wondering what your recommendation would be?  Given what you know now, if you a brand new 87 fuel tank (with baffles), what sending unit, pump etc would you use?  Would you buy brand new lines?  What filter?

I have a 1985 C10 longbed and just bought a 6.0 with 6l90e that I want to swap, perhaps supercharge or turbo in the future.  Seeing all the fuel delivery problems you had to work through makes me think I need to do it right from the start, even if I have to spend a little more.  Thanks so much for putting together this detailed build.  It makes tackling the project a lot less intimidating!

Cheers,

Phil

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #368 on: October 23, 2017, 09:55:22 PM »
My issue was 1) didn't replace the fuel filter that was clogged with dirt, 2) that in turn filled the rails with dirt 3) that ended up plugging the return side of the second intake rail.

My tank was clean, sending unit was in usable condition, pumps were either new or known good.
I am currently doing another swap and plan to use the same setup.  Factory tank (was in the Blazer), new PTFE Hose, new filter, same sending unit and a Walbro 255 along with the stock Intake lines and rebend a return line.  So I would do it all over again the same.  The filter is the same stock one for a 1987-up truck, GN, Syclone, Typhoon etc...  AC Delco GF652

Offline JohnCaldy

« Reply #369 on: October 24, 2017, 12:19:59 AM »
My issue was 1) didn't replace the fuel filter that was clogged with dirt, 2) that in turn filled the rails with dirt 3) that ended up plugging the return side of the second intake rail.

One thing leading to another, better keep this in mind to avoid making the same mistake in the future. This is a great thread, man.

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #370 on: October 03, 2018, 08:18:28 PM »
This should get me caught up to present day.  Sorry for slacking fellows.  I have had a lot going on.  Sold my house with a LARGE garage to move into a temp house with a 2 car garage and all my stuff it now in a POD in storage.
Not a lot happened between April 2016 until around April of 2018 with the truck.  It now has 37000+ miles on it.

Saturday, April 21st, 201:  Remember the blown fuse from April 2016, well that happened again a while later the fan would randomly stop working.  During this week it stopped and didn't come back on.  And I found the issue.  The fuse holder was Flawed.

I contacted Perma Cool and talked to them about this and they told me that they had updated the kits with a new fuse, so I had them send me an updated piece.  This won't flex and blow like the last one...

Sunday, July 8th, 2018: After making a short visit to the PowerTour 2018 stop in my town, I was prepping for South Eastern All Chevy/GMC Truck Nationals.  The tires on the Impala wheels were pretty much gone, and I had these 20's under the Blazer so I swapped them out because they had good tread.

Sunday, July 9th, 2018: Picked up a In Bed Aluminum Tool Box that I could mount in the bed and put important items in for the trip, jack, tools, extra parts, etc along with some parts that I could sell.  I spend the evening cleaning it up.  I also ordered a replacement key for it as they were using pad lock latches..

Monday, July 10th, 2018: Spent the evening mounting the box to the bed using the factory bed bolts to hold it down.  I discovered that it was going to be a pain to access it with the Extang FullTilt cover I had on the truck, but I ordered a new cover material anyway. 

Wednesday, August 15th, 2018: For my search on a new cover I ran across the TruXedo Duece and ordered one.  This cover rolls up from the back, but the front portion flips backwards on a hinge.  I got it installed this evening.

Wednesday, August 15th, 2018: During the drive home the truck turned 36,000 Miles.

Thursday, September 6th, 2018: Picked up the new Crew Headliner proofs this week, this shows how the Duece Cover flips back.

Saturday, September 8th, 2018: Drive up to LS Fest with Live85 and walked around the show.  Talked to by buddy Rick Squires (STS Turbo) who is in business with Holley now and a buddy Bryan snapped this pic of my truck. 

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #371 on: September 23, 2019, 07:34:16 PM »
For the past several months the R10Driver has been a solid daily.  Sometime in April of this year I started getting a high speed vibration that I couldn't figure out.  Fast forward to the Southeastern Chevy/GMC Truck Nationals in July with the truck.

Friday, July 12th, 2019:  While driving to the All Chevy/GMC Nationals we got stuck in traffic which came to a stand still.  During all this when traffic started moving, the truck wasn't.  I had to gas it to make it shift to second.  We ended up making it to the hotel but only after the trans temp hitting 300 degrees.

Saturday, July 13th, 2019: I decided to risk it and have them pull the pan and see how bad the damage was and put a new filter and trans fluid in it.  Hard to tell from the pictures but that is alot of trash in the pan and the magnet is coated with metal.  In adition to the smell that rushed out when the pan was dropped.

We went ahead and went to the show and met up with a number of friends but we left early so I could hopefully drive it home.  Supprisingly it made it and we took the interstate the whole way and never stopped.  All 200 miles.  Trans temps were around 240ish.

20 miles from my house I had to stop and needless to say I drove the last few miles home in second gear.  Truck was at 38991.7 miles and the trans was toast.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 07:57:54 PM by Captkaos »

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #372 on: September 23, 2019, 07:44:49 PM »
Monday, July 22nd, 2019: Ordered a Stage 4 rebuild kit from jakesperformance.com in hopes to have it rebuild by LS Fest.

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #373 on: September 23, 2019, 07:46:23 PM »
Sunday, August 11th, 2019: My twin brother came over to help me remove the transmission from the truck.  For the past month I have had sciatic issues and I didn't want to drop the thing on the ground by myself.

Thursday, August 15th, 2019: The Jakes Rebuilt kit showed up and a buddy of mine dropped it off at that trans shop the following Monday (8/19)

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #374 on: September 23, 2019, 07:46:44 PM »
Monday, August 26th, 2019: Buddy of mine delivered the rebuild trans.  Along with a rebuild I also added a Deep fined aluminum pan and an external cooler.