Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Electrical / Re: Horn help!
« Last post by bd on July 12, 2024, 11:07:44 AM »
What ? ! ? ! ?

JP ! !     I can't hear you over the racket of your blasted horn ! !   

You really ought to get that fixed.  ;D
Members Rides / Re: 84 Jimmy Build
« Last post by Shifty on July 12, 2024, 10:11:24 AM »
That's a ton of ugly to cut off....
Electrical / Re: Seat Belt light Stays on
« Last post by mamaya3367 on July 12, 2024, 08:58:48 AM »
Thank you for the explanation.  I will work on it this weekend.  Stay tuned for results.
« Last post by 1981lt1 on July 11, 2024, 08:28:56 PM »
Since I'm still waiting for my new door hinges, and they likely won't be here this week, I started on the rust in the rear of the cab floor.  Of course, it wasn't just the floor pan, it had to be rotten in the support as well.

« Last post by 1981lt1 on July 11, 2024, 08:15:09 PM »
Well, it looks like you have to skill set to overcome their lack of quality.

Look forward to your continued progress  ;)

Actually, i'm not afraid to cut things apart and i'm just a very good grinder!  My welding/fabrications skills are novice at best. 
« Last post by bd on July 11, 2024, 04:38:28 PM »
See the attached image and navigate to the 1986 Wiring Manual.pdf page 10.  It is useful to download the wiring manual to your hard drive for future reference.

I+ = ignition positive
B+ = battery positive
I/P = instrument panel
PC board (PCB) = printed circuit board

See Common Automotive (& Shorthand) Acronyms in our Technical Forum for more definitions.

The instrument cluster has a flexible die-cut printed circuit board (PCB) attached to its backside that connects all of the gauges, lamps, and indicators to the dash wiring harness via a 2-row, 18-pin connector.  "Foil" refers to the thin copper circuit traces that wind around the PCB to various locations, each circuit following a separate conductive trace.

On extremely rare occasions, the circuit board traces are not properly indexed with the die-cut of the board.  Consequently, adjacent circuits that are intended to be separate can be cross-connected if the die cut was supposed to sever a circuit trace but didn't quite.  It is a covertly devious fault and difficult to find because the board was manufactured that way so appears unmolested.  Fortunately, this scenario is more common with aftermarket PCBs than OEM boards.
« Last post by mamaya3367 on July 11, 2024, 02:05:38 PM »

Thanks for the help.  I am comfortable with reading schematics.  I clicked the link but I'm having difficulty finding the circuit.  Can you tell me which pages to concentrate on?  Also, can you define I+ and B+?  When you say I/P foil pc board is this where all the bulbs connect on the back of the guage cluster?
« Last post by bd on July 10, 2024, 10:36:51 PM »
How comfortable are you with interpreting wiring diagrams?  From memory, the seatbelt indicator light receives I+ and the alarm module completes the light ground to illuminate it.  If the light glows with the alarm module removed, the implication is a grounded circuit 237 (yellow) wire running between the I/P Cluster PC board and the alarm module socket, or a grounded PC board foil.  With the ignition switched ON, use an incandescent test light clipped to I+ or B+ and probe the yellow wire that connects to the convenience center alarm module socket with the module removed.  Refer to the 1986 factory wiring manual for a schematic diagram that indicates which socket terminal to probe.  Does the test light illuminate?
« Last post by mamaya3367 on July 10, 2024, 09:26:56 PM »
Yes
« Last post by bd on July 10, 2024, 09:20:47 PM »
The seat belt lamp is on with the alarm module unplugged?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10