Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Chassis Electrical and Ignition / Re: Fuel selector switch
« Last post by VileZambonie on April 12, 2024, 03:28:59 PM »
Cable-operated dual tank valve.
Chassis Electrical and Ignition / Re: Fuel selector switch
« Last post by VileZambonie on April 12, 2024, 03:27:26 PM »
More info on the push-pull dual tank system. I also refurbished a valve and cable assembly. I'll dig it all out when I get a chance to show the cable and switch.
Engine/Drivetrain / Re: Exhaust gas smell in cabin
« Last post by ChrisD on April 12, 2024, 02:34:45 PM »
Okay, I cut a small sheet of metal to size and put it between the EGR and the seal. It's much better since then. Only at the traffic lights does it sometimes still pull in, but that can go under the truck
Most likely you have a faulty ignition control module and a poor engine ground. You do not need an oscilloscope, just follow the diagnostic strategy attached.

4 Wheel Drives / Re: Need advice for 86 1/2 ton K10
« Last post by VileZambonie on April 12, 2024, 07:06:23 AM »
700R4/NP208 is an easy find and good fit. Find someone parting out, junkyard or buy a parts truck and you'll get all you need.
4 Wheel Drives / Need advice for 86 1/2 ton K10
« Last post by louder50 on April 12, 2024, 05:20:21 AM »
I bought an 86 1/2 ton K10 with no drivetrain other than the front and rear 3.43 axles. It came originally with a v6 and 4 speed manual trans. I have a rebuilt 350 to install but I don't know what to do about a trans and transfer case. I'd like to be able to drive it on the freeway and am thinking a 700r4 would be good. I'm not off roading it just a year round driver in Michigan. If I put a 4 speed manual back in it I don't think it would be good on the freeway but am I wrong? What would I need for 700r4 swap?
Diesel Engine Discussion / Re: 84 k30 Project
« Last post by bd on April 11, 2024, 11:01:41 PM »
You're probably correct in your summation of an 80 PSI gauge in the original cluster.

FYI - The GM oil pressure gauges and senders are electrically identical.  All of the senders have the same 0-60 ohm resistance characteristics; gauges likewise are electrically and mechanically identical except for the face markings.  The differences between applications are in the spring rates of the senders and the face markings on the gauges.  In later years, many of the gauges had "Low" and "High" oil pressure scale marks in lieu of 0-60 PSI, 0-80 PSI, or 0-100 PSI.  This was done to minimize inventory since any of the three senders would work correctly with a generically marked Low-High gauge face.  If you inspect the sender stamping as previously discussed, you will know exactly which gauge suits the sender.  For example, I use a 100 PSI sender in my '87 R10 with 5.7L engine and a "Low-High" gauge face because it runs 90 PSI cold and 50 PSI at normal operating temperature.  If an unfamiliar driver didn't know it was a 100 PSI sender, the gauge indication would appear the same as any standard 60 PSI gauge.

The take-away here is to make sure the sender stamping matches the gauge markings.  So if you install an 80 PSI gauge, use a sender that is stamped 80 and you will be rewarded with an accurate reading.  The caveat, however, is that not all aftermarket senders are stamped per OEM protocols.  Shrug.
« Last post by KamperBob on April 11, 2024, 10:22:48 PM »
Attaching a couple pix of clusters from eBay showing 60 psi gauge for gas truck and 80 psi for diesel.
« Last post by KamperBob on April 11, 2024, 10:18:21 PM »
My guess is this 6.2 diesel had an 80 psi oil pressure gauge originally. From the widow I know the truck was stolen and recovered but some parts were missing. The previous owner may have used a gas-cluster oil gauge. She can't say. It was 30 years ago. Anyway, before installing the new sensor I bench tested it using shop air with adjustable tool pressure and a mechanical gauge for reference. My multimeter showed increased resistance with pressure up to 120 psi. So I'm thinking an 80 psi gauge might just plug and play...
Fuel Systems and Drivability / 1987 R10 Silverado L03 305 TBI with a 42 code
« Last post by mcgarijs on April 11, 2024, 09:39:48 PM »
Engine stumbles randomly at highway speeds and at Idle. A code 42 is stored. When the codes are clear the engine runs smooth. But will randomly every 5 to 10 min stumble. if at idle it may actually die and has to be restarted. I don't have an oscilloscope to check square waves as I read in a troubleshooting guide. The previous owner may have been chasing the same problem. I have receipts from the dealer Capital Chevrolet in Austin Tx. they took it to and  replaced both fuel tank pumps, selector valve, tank selector switch both TBI injectors,distributor,ignition coil, TStat, Alternator, IAC valve. Will start and run just fine but will randomly stumble has me puzzled.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10