Author Topic: Lift kit Q & A for those with lift kits and for those who want lift kits  (Read 72860 times)

Offline Flyinhillbilly

Re: Lift kit Q & A for those with lift kits and for those who want lift kits
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2015, 06:28:38 PM »
315/75-16 on 16x8 centerline hellcat 34's
No rubbing ever, and I treat this thing like a rock buggy.

The other side

I'm not gentle with this thing.
I was born on a mountian, raised in a cave,
Overpowered cars is all I crave.

Offline Greybeard

• Frequent Member
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 07:42:47 PM »
 ???

I see why you have your admiration bench on the left side of the truck.  ;)
It makes me sad to see such good trucks be destroyed however. They will never make another one. But, their isn't much fun to be had by just admiring it in a stationary position.  :)

I like your choice of rims, easy to clean and understated. I absolutely hate a rim over 17" on a truck except maybe once the tire size goes above 40". My old truck with 39/15-15 Mickey-T's Tall Bajas (on 15x10 white steel wagon rims) would float the rear end of the short bed. My truck spent a lot of time in about five feet of clear spring water. But I'm getting off-topic.

So, whatever the topics point was the final answer is a definite ---it depends.  8)
Tires are the most unregulated and most used commodity on earth. All that can be said for certain is that there is little comparability between brands and/or models of the same brand.  ::)

As for whether a certain size will fit? Yes it will IF the same tire and size is bought as the example furnished. My truck has severely sagging stock springs, I have 33/12.50-15's Mud Kings on it that do not rub, ever. They do not make Mud Kings any longer so my example is moot.
I am what I am and I ain't no more!

Offline Flyinhillbilly

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 08:57:01 PM »
The way I look at it, is that it's just a bedside. $450 away from being better than it was. I don't try to hurt it, but I do like to raise heck in my truck from time to time, and sometimes there's collateral damage.

I agree about the tires. Mine are Kelly safari tsr 315/75/16
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 08:58:33 PM by Flyinhillbilly »
I was born on a mountian, raised in a cave,
Overpowered cars is all I crave.

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 06:18:14 AM »

???

I see why you have your admiration bench on the left side of the truck.  ;)
It makes me sad to see such good trucks be destroyed however. They will never make another one. But, their isn't much fun to be had by just admiring it in a stationary position.  :)

I like your choice of rims, easy to clean and understated. I absolutely hate a rim over 17" on a truck except maybe once the tire size goes above 40". My old truck with 39/15-15 Mickey-T's Tall Bajas (on 15x10 white steel wagon rims) would float the rear end of the short bed. My truck spent a lot of time in about five feet of clear spring water. But I'm getting off-topic.

So, whatever the topics point was the final answer is a definite ---it depends.  8)
Tires are the most unregulated and most used commodity on earth. All that can be said for certain is that there is little comparability between brands and/or models of the same brand.  ::)

As for whether a certain size will fit? Yes it will IF the same tire and size is bought as the example furnished. My truck has severely sagging stock springs, I have 33/12.50-15's Mud Kings on it that do not rub, ever. They do not make Mud Kings any longer so my example is moot.
any  action pics of the truck in the water ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 07:24:11 PM »
1. No lift 1991 v3500 crew with cummins
2. N/A
3. 285/75/16 (33/11.2/R16)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 07:26:42 PM by Irish_Alley »
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2015, 10:11:15 PM »
so i been driving my truck with the new tires and no rubbing but i wanted to show you how close it is. its kind of a bad picture but you will get the ideal and the tires arnt really turned much at all

its about a little more than an inch these are about 33s so it would of been close with 34s and the might rub on a flex but 35s would of rubbed

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Greybeard

• Frequent Member
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2015, 01:45:54 AM »

any  action pics of the truck in the water ?

Well, yes and no. I have pics of it near the water we wheeled in (Black River - between Lesterville and Centerville, Missouri now closed to the public). The problem is the truck was parked and the pictures were of other things with the truck just happening to be in the picture.

I do have a short video of us wheeling in the river but it is still on VHS tape and my VHS player is/has been broken (for about seven years now) I never transferred it to a disk. Gotta remember this was way back in the mid 80's; technology wasn't near what it is today. A video camera was large and required a separate (large) battery pack and actually carrying the video player along to act as the recorder. It wasn't really handy. And the only still cameras were 35mm film and/or cartridge styles that had film that needed to be taken in and developed. Digital was still years in the future.

I threw some others in here too.

My truck is on the left. I believe this to be the last year I lived in Florrisant, Mo before I moved to Colorado and a couple of years before they closed the river to wheeling. I drove back from Colorado the following year for one last week in the river (no pics of that year).

The Ford to the right has a styofoam flatbed and has a snorkle that allows 9' foot deep water crossings.  It has a 460, manual tranny, no brakes, no alternator, and a railroad rail lift kit. Crude but effective. It was driven underwater by with extened foot controls and steering with one foot while sitting in the rear window. These pictures are circa 1984 or 85, before I moved west (again) in late 85.

Coupla pictures of some of our group jumping into the river.

My Scout is the 1978 hardtop on the right, picture circa 1982 or so. It had a 345 v8, Chrysler 727 tranny, 205 t-case, worthless auto-locking hubs (real stuckers they were), and two Dana 44 axles. All-in-all, the most worthless four wheeler I ever owned. The one on the left was worse. Wish I had it back big time. Fabric bucket seats A/C, rear seat and it was comfortable to drive. Never took the lid off.

Visiting an old friend. I knew Bob Chandler before he started calling his first truck Bigfoot. I bought most of my parts from him after he started building more than one truck. The guys I wheeled with in the previous pictures where some of his first mechanics and fabricators. That was a LONNNNNNGGGG time ago. Late 70's. These pictures were taken in 1986 on our way to Cleveland, Ohio to take my future wife's niece home (pictured) and get ourselves married. Just stopped by to say Hi to the gang at Midwest 4x4 and see my Dad.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 02:01:34 AM by Greybeard »

Offline Thundergun

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2015, 10:00:55 PM »
1) 6" super lift from summit - includes front springs, rear 5" blocks (with my stock springs), 4" steering arm. Installed 2015 on my 85 k10 short bed.
2) not sure about the length axle to bottom of frame - PM me or i will try and measure it later.
3) 33x12.5x15 - looks pretty good. no rubbing at all.
i installed extended steel braided brake lines on the front - the stock lines look questionable. Also, i ponied up and bought a 2" drop drag link to add to the 4" raised steering arm.
1985 K10 Shortbed, 6" Superlift, 33x12.5x15" tires, 100% bad, '87 fuel injected 350 (i think)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2015, 10:37:38 PM »
updated, keep them coming

Offline enaberif

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2015, 03:15:01 PM »
4" lift
245/75r16

Procomp 4" front springs ; ORD Rear Shackle flip with stock hangars and leafs.

Front: 12.5" from axle tube to bottom of frame
Rear: 13.75" from axle tube to bottom of frame

« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 11:54:03 PM by enaberif »

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2015, 11:23:40 PM »
turns out my 285/75/16s on the 6.5" stock rims rub on the drag link

Offline Greybeard

• Frequent Member
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2015, 09:01:25 PM »
I bet if they were on 8 or 10 inch rims they wouldn't rub.  ;) But why bother?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2015, 02:18:11 AM »
i would love to try another set of rims. and might sooner or later but for right now its all i have that these tires kid of fit on

Offline Greybeard

• Frequent Member
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2015, 09:56:42 PM »
You could always get a 1/8" or 3/16" spacer for both sides. I think 1/4" might not be too safe on these old style hubs, but I don't know for sure. I wouldn't worry about [it].
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 09:40:16 PM by Greybeard »

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2015, 06:54:09 AM »
never thought of the spacers. man i tell you my mind is running 100 mph latly. have a mud bog saturday (tomorrow) that a church is throwing, 4 year old started pre-k, family is coming to visit and im still trying to get used to this cummins ticks and knocks. need to find a friend who knows about these engines to listen to her and see if they hear the cam knock i do. i just dont know what normal with diesels much less a cummins