Author Topic: Rear 3-Point Seatbelt Install  (Read 1659 times)

Offline Jon87V20

• Frequent Member
Rear 3-Point Seatbelt Install
« on: September 08, 2020, 09:10:21 PM »
Hi everybody,

TLDR: Can I use the bolthole highlighted in the photo to attach the lapbelt anchor plate in my backseat 3-point setup (I'd be using a strong bolt and a huge washer on the backside of that panel to spread the load out more)? Okay, or bad idea?

I'm currently installing a 3-point seatbelt system on the rear passenger side bench seat in my '87 Suburban Silverado V20. After fighting like heck to get the old bolts drilled out, I'm finally ready to try and get this installed.

I have the upper shoulder point attached to the factory tapped spot (had to cut the trim up a bit to access it).

For the seatbelt retracting mechanism, I'm running into a bit of trouble. I can try and mount it in the same orientation as the factory unit I took out. However, it doesn't seem to like the slightly twisted angle in relation to the upper mount. There's a fair amount of resistance when trying to reel it out.

I'm thinking I might drill a new hole in the floor so I can turn the retractor just a bit where it feels better. There isn't much room to play around with since the latching piece for the folding seat is around there as well.

So anyway, what I need help with is, the anchor point for the end of the lapbelt section. The instructions for this set are terrible and are no help at all. I've seen videos where guys are putting the anchor plate on the same bolt as the retractor, but this isn't really an option for me since it throws the angle off on the lap belt too much.

What I'm wondering is, should I be okay to attach the lap belt anchor to the left-most bolt of the folding seat latch situation (see photo)? I would definitely step up to a better bolt that came with the kit and put one of those huge washers behind on the other side to spread out the load etc...

Of course I would never say anyone is liable for any advice if something goes wrong. Just would like to know what you would do in the same situation (without a welder).

Thanks for reading this!

1987 Chevrolet Suburban V20 Silverado
350ci TBI TH400 NP208