Author Topic: First Project without Guidance  (Read 8016 times)

Offline LRobinson

Re: First Project without Guidance
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2021, 07:47:15 PM »
It took longer to post but here it is. The part that moves that lever is called a EFE or TVS. There are none around and it's an optional component. I have found a photo of one on the same engine i have on a similar truck. The big issue is the 5/8 threaded hole above the EGR valve. From looking at my old cylinder head it looks like it was plugged. But by looking at the same photo i have found it looks like a line comes off it. So right now I'm not sure which route to take. Do I just plug it? Does the lever need to be secured in the up or down position? Currently I'm stumped.

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2021, 08:46:29 PM »
That picture is extremely helpful!! Good job!!

So under cold conditions, vacuum is active at the rear of that canister, pulling a diaphragm and the rod inside, against a spring, thus pulling the lever.

That affects the exhaust flow so the engine heats up quicker.

When temp is correct, vacuum is stopped, and the spring in the canister pushed the diaphragm and rod back out.

This allows for a free flow of exhaust, something you want.

Since you have no smog equipment, you won't need the diaphragm.

So looking at the valve lever, move it to the right, or away from the front of the engine and tie it off with a wire.

Done and done!!
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline LRobinson

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2021, 10:37:23 PM »
Happy to have that figured out! Now I just need to figure out what to do about the threaded hole above the EGR valve. Do I plug it with whatever I can find or do I need to figure out if it had a more important purpose.  I'm unsure what to do here.

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2021, 11:51:07 PM »
Okay, while it's kind of hidden in the picture, the EGR is near the center of the carb landing, We're looking at the back, kind of brassy finish, right?

If yes, then the pics you sent earlier were 90 degrees to the left which make perfect sense because it leads us to what that port might be.

First shine a flashlight into the opening and see if you see lite in the area that the carb will cover. That is the intake plenum.

If yes, then looking at the picture of the engine, and where the tubing is going, it looks like a vacuum line going to a power assist brake unit.

Do you have power brakes? They require positive vacuum to work, and get it from the the intake manifold.
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction