Author Topic: Exhaust Manifold stuck  (Read 1260 times)

Offline Chanman09

Exhaust Manifold stuck
« on: March 26, 2023, 08:39:37 PM »
Too long; didn’t read:  I loosened up my exhaust manifold and it won’t come out. Caught between the starter and frame. Loose. Just sitting there laughing at me.

Ok. I’m not a complete rookie under the hood, and by no means consider myself a mechanic. So I’m flabbergasted as to what I’m doing wrong here.

I kinda am doing some super simple and cheap things to my 1986 c20 right now, as I’m saving up for tires and a wiring harness to get into my next stage of restoration.

I thought it would be a perfect Sunday project to pull off some smog stuff that has been burned, rusted, cut, or eaten by varmints. I had removed the 2 AIR pumps previously when installing a new fuel pump, and I finished chasing the hoses to different areas and pulled them. Then I took the giant octopus stuff off the top of the engine. It was a combination of hoses and hard lines going from one exhaust manifold to the other. A couple easy bolts holding the bracket on and it came right off.

I then so used on the air injection system at the exhaust manifolds.

Generous Pb blaster was squirted on the large nuts holding the tubes on the manifold. I rounded offf a bolt and decided maybe I should try something different.

YouTube university had a lot of guys cutting these pipes off, and welding them shut. I don’t know how to weld. And though it would be a good way to learn, I decided to dig deeper on the YouTubes.

I came across a Russian accented guy with his manifold pulled off and he was plugging the holes with some threaded plugs! It looked nicer than welds. And with the manifold off of the truck, I could probably get those suckers unbolted easier.

Now, if the manifold bolts are a beast, I gotta just learn how to weld.

Turns out all of the bolts came out pretty easily!,  that’s a first!

So, after some praising to the Lord, I go under the truck to disconnect manifold from exhaust pipe.

I get the nuts turning and the springs come off no problem.

I go back to the top and start pulling this manifold out.

So many problems!!

Firstly, I didn’t realize how long those air jets actually stick into the block!!  I was getting those little heifers stuck.

Then, I was getting the heat shield of the manifold stuck on the heat Shield protecting the rear 2 Spark plug wires.  I get the little electric screwdriver and get that little fella off there and find a ziplock and label that because those little screws are tiny!

Now, time to pull this thing out. It’s free.

NOPE!!

This ex man is catching between the frame and the starter and I can’t get it out! I begged, hit, pryed, hammered, pushed, pulled and my quick little job has turned into a 2 hour ordeal that has no end in sight.

I’m going back and forth from under the rig to up top. I’m trying to pull it out the top. Or push it through the bottom. It won’t do ether.

I have the brackets from the exhaust pipe soaked with pb blaster and I may require heat to get the bolts turning and I’ll have the exhaust pipe down to exercise another option, but I don’t know that will help.

Who has the answer for me?  I know I’m an idiot, my wife and kids remind me often, but I don’t think im THIS big of an idiot! I can’t let this best me. Surely someone has an easy answer I’m overlooking. ( if any of you say to take the starter off, so help me...) lol.

Thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 05:54:30 PM by Captkaos »

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Exhaust Manifold stuck
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 04:46:24 AM »
Do you have the spark plugs out? What exactly is stopping you from removing it? You know it is fairly easy to lower the starter if it is in your way too...
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Chanman09

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 01:01:06 PM »
It's not catching on the spark plugs.  They are still in. 

It's caught between the frame and the starter, or if I finagle it a different way, the frame and the block and the AC plastic. 

I've never seen this.  I've never messed with a squarebody much, but I've been around 82 and 84 Fords, 89 and 94 GMC/Chevy OBS, and more modern stuff.  I have to be the only guy ever with this problem!! 

I've fought bolts and broke bolts and even had to heat up gaskets to turn loose.  Never had one just hanging there and not want to come out.  I'm dumbfounded

Offline Swampyankee74

• Frequent Member
  • Keep em alive
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 01:07:38 PM »
If you can post a couple of pictures. Maybe the manifolds don't belong on that truck.

Online Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 02:06:30 PM »
I'd pull the starter, as Vile stated.
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2023, 04:01:45 PM »
these 86 manifolds have long inserts, not surprised you are struggling. 
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2023, 04:01:59 PM »
Pull the right side motor mount pin.

Safety off the oil pan with some lumber between it and the jack.

Lift slowly and gently off the chassis mount with a floor jack.

Just enough to free the ex man.
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline Chanman09

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2023, 08:14:33 PM »
Ok. After my honey-dos were done, I crawled under the rig and loosened the starter.

I was able to pry and pull the ex man out after that!

The starter wasn’t bad at all. I remember taking a starter out at some point years ago a fit was a bear to get anything in the space to unbolt it.

I felt silly after I looked at this one. My gosh. So many swear words for nothing last weekend. Lol.

I was even able to slide a wrench over one of the pipe nuts and get it out!  I’ll save the others for tomorrow.

I’m satisfied!

Thanks for the help!

Online Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2023, 09:52:31 AM »
Woooooo!  :D
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed