Author Topic: Need help! I dont know what this part is called  (Read 6542 times)

Offline nbertolan

Need help! I dont know what this part is called
« on: July 29, 2015, 10:35:01 AM »
I have a 76 chevy k20. I took the locking hub off to find out why only 2 bolts hold the whole hub assembly to the truck. When i took it off, i found out that the other 4 bolts that hold it on broke off in the threads and i dont want to mess with it. Does anyone know what this part is called. Its not part of the brake rotor. Where can i get a new one?

Offline Jason S

Re: Need help! I dont know what this part is called
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 10:53:19 AM »
It's called a hub, held onto the rotor by the wheel studs.  I'm not sure where to find a new one.

Here is one currently on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-GM-BIG-HUB-DANA-44-K20-K30-3-4-1-TON-HD-WHEEL-HUB-1973-1974-1975-1976-1977-/360814913392?hash=item54023ea770&vxp=mtr

And here is one from Quad 4x4, hub and rotor: http://www.quad4x4.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=acton&key=5530163

1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 09:12:30 PM »
A real pain to swap the hub
They usually don't have the rotor on em so you will spend all day knocking out the studs that hold the wheel on and then pounding them back in and replacing the wheel seals repacking the bearings and messing with the double lock nuts on the spindle

I'd try to get the broken bolts out first

Id try some left handed drill bits first
Yes there is such a thing
Most of the time they work to get broken bolts out

If that doesn't work taking it to a mechanic to get the broken bolts out would probably be cheaper than buying a new hub

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline enaberif

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 08:06:54 AM »
Machine shop will be cheaper and faster to get the bolts out.

Offline nbertolan

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 12:35:42 PM »
I have a press so ill probably just take the rotor and hub off, press out the studs, get new hubs made or i might be able to make them and maybe get new rotors. I know a guy that has a machine shop so Ill talk to him and see if its cheaper to get some made. I have to replace all the bearings in the front axle so im going to be packing them anyways. Its gonna be a big job!!

Offline nbertolan

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 12:38:29 PM »
Does anyone have an exploded view of an 8 lug dana 44 front axle lockout hub to lockout hub?

Offline Jason S

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 01:07:17 PM »
Manuals are located here: http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=30115.msg252586#msg252586

There should be a diagram showing the exploded view in the '74 Chevrolet Service Manual.
1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"

Offline CDog86

• All Alaskans arent Eskimos, no we don't ride bears
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 01:59:55 AM »
Getting the studs out shouldn't be that hard, I used an old large punch and a brass hammer and they all were out on both rotors in 10-20 minutes, I just threw out my old rotors when I got my new ones and set my rotor on top of the hub and hammered them back through and it worked perfectly. 8)

Offline roundhouse

Need help! I dont know what this part is called
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 07:19:37 AM »
I have a press so ill probably just take the rotor and hub off, press out the studs, get new hubs made or i might be able to make them and maybe get new rotors. I know a guy that has a machine shop so Ill talk to him and see if its cheaper to get some made. I have to replace all the bearings in the front axle so im going to be packing them anyways. Its gonna be a big job!!
I guess a good machinist could make one but there's a lot of internal machining for where the bearing races sit
Lot cheaper to buy one

Don't know if you can get em new anymore
You'll probably need spindles too

Most times when I remove a hub the spindles are damaged from spun bearings or the threads are damaged from previous owners not knowing how to install and adjust the spindle nuts
It's a real pain to install the spindle nuts , takes  time cause you have to do it over and over to get the nuts and locking ring adjusted properly

But I'd give the reverse drill bits a try
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 03:55:43 PM by Irish_Alley »

Offline Don5

• Registered Users
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 01:19:21 PM »
Getting the studs out shouldn't be that hard, I used an old large punch and a brass hammer and they all were out on both rotors in 10-20 minutes, I just threw out my old rotors when I got my new ones and set my rotor on top of the hub and hammered them back through and it worked perfectly. 8)

I threaded an old lug nut on the very end and hit the stud with a hammer. It worked perfect. I just placed the stud back in the hole and hit with a hammer to install it. No drama as it went easy. BTW- my truck had been sitting outside in the weather for 22 years before I did this so it is no garage queen.
It's been a LONG time since I have been called a newbie. Just sayin....

1979 GMC K15 355, SM 465, 205, 3.73 Dana 44 with a Spartan Locker, 12 bolt Eaton limited slip and 6 inch lift with 36 x 12.50 Super Swamper TSL's.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 03:57:48 PM »
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline nbertolan

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 11:27:50 PM »
Im not sure what im going to do yet. Should there be some play in the axle shaft when you take the lockout off? I have about a quarter inch of play in every direction. Does that mean that I need to replace the bearings in the axle?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 11:46:44 PM »
You mean you can spin the axle shaft a little in both directions ? As in its moving the differential

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline nbertolan

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 07:34:50 AM »
No, side to side an up and down

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 03:32:56 PM »
there is space between the axle shaft and hub to allow it to move. then you have the u joint then the next support is differential inside the differential cover. i could see it moving in each direction, i dont have non of mine apart right now so i cant check but by the picture of beastie's post it looks normal. i dont really remember them being real tight