Author Topic: Detent cable for th350  (Read 5736 times)

Offline Magic1

• Registered Users
Detent cable for th350
« on: August 01, 2015, 08:00:20 PM »
Hey guys. On my 82 Sierra I have the 350/350 setup and no matter which bracket I've tried the detent cable winds up being too long. I've read on another forum that the th350c used a cable similar to the TV cable used on the 700r4 in the way it hooks to the carb but is a little shorter. Can anyone confirm this and know of a part number? I've looked online for pics bit come up short and they all seem to have the same slotted connection that mine does. Thanks

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Detent cable for th350
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 01:48:50 PM »
did you adjust it?

pull up on this tab

then
open the throttle all the way up and push the tab back down then release the throttle
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline enaberif

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 02:53:14 PM »
Don't use the throttle linkage. Get another person in the truck to push the pedal to the floor and use that as a base.

If you do it manually you can over extend the cable and never be able to shift properly.

Offline Magic1

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 10:50:53 PM »
It was an engine swap. It never had the original hooked up and now that I've got the new motor in I've yet to come across a bracket that will shorten up the cable enough to make it work. It winds up being an inch or so too long.

Offline enaberif

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 11:07:11 PM »
It was an engine swap. It never had the original hooked up and now that I've got the new motor in I've yet to come across a bracket that will shorten up the cable enough to make it work. It winds up being an inch or so too long.

TH350 bracket bolts to the back 2 bolts on the intake manifold driver side.

http://www.modernperformanceclassics.net/UserData/Images/Large/102652.jpg

Offline Magic1

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 11:16:13 PM »
I'll have to double check exactly which bolts I've got holding the bracket in place. I've tried two different brackets and can't remember where I've got it bolted down but thought it was on the back side of the manifold. When I read that there was a different length cable available it made sense to find that one and just change out the stud on the carburetor to accept it. I hope it's as simple as moving the bracket but that's usually not how my luck goes, especially with this truck. Lol. The bracket I bought was adjustable and it had two square holes, one for the detent cable and the other for the throttle cable. With the bracket you listed in the link how would you be able to connect both?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 11:22:07 PM by Magic1 »

Offline enaberif

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 07:01:12 AM »
I'll have to double check exactly which bolts I've got holding the bracket in place. I've tried two different brackets and can't remember where I've got it bolted down but thought it was on the back side of the manifold. When I read that there was a different length cable available it made sense to find that one and just change out the stud on the carburetor to accept it. I hope it's as simple as moving the bracket but that's usually not how my luck goes, especially with this truck. Lol. The bracket I bought was adjustable and it had two square holes, one for the detent cable and the other for the throttle cable. With the bracket you listed in the link how would you be able to connect both?

IF your truck is 100% stock and running a quadrajet carb you need two brackets..
1) This is for the throttle linkage - http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/data/500/q-jet_throttle_bracket.jpg
2) This is for the detent cable - http://www.modernperformanceclassics.net/UserData/Images/Large/102652.jpg

If you are running anything other than a stock setup pictures should be provided so we can better diagnose. The bracket you are referring to is usually for a completely different setup.

Offline Magic1

• Registered Users
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 01:15:24 PM »
I'm running a goodwrench 350 crate engine with an edelbrock 1406 carburetor. I hope you are able to see clearly in the pics the way the bracket is setup. The detent cable is connected to the back hole and is unhooked laying on the manifold under the carb stud. The detent cable is not extended at all. It's as short as it can possibly be with adjustment. When hooked up to the carb it's about an inch too long with the throttle wide open
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 01:18:26 PM by Magic1 »

Offline enaberif

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 02:22:32 PM »
Have you confirmed you are in fact running a TH350 transmission? That cable looks WAY to long to be used for a TH350.

Here is a breakdown of the measurements of a TH350 detent cable...

Offline Magic1

• Registered Users
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 09:37:41 PM »
Yeah. Positive. I've had it rebuilt, put a new pan on it as well as found a th350 with an np205 transfer case bolted to it that I pulled off and swapped out with the 203 that was originally in it. No doubt about that