Author Topic: What Broke? Front Ring and Pinion or Carrier?  (Read 2844 times)

Offline carlnelson

• 20 year Alaskan
What Broke? Front Ring and Pinion or Carrier?
« on: April 12, 2018, 11:44:03 AM »
Hello all,

I have a 1982 K10 w/manually locking hubs.  Been a great truck, however this last winter upon acceleration I began to feel and hear a light bang/slip. BTW, I might have backed up with my other vehicle and the trailer hitch might have hit upon the passenger side hub....  Once up to speed it went away. Light acceleration no problem. The other day while in 4wd I was backing up and it felt it binded up abit and upon putting it in drive it released with a real BANG.... seems worse since that, going up my still snow/ice covered driveway (Alaska) now it's bang/bang/bang.  Still works but sound fatal.

Unlocked the hubs and no noise, so yeah....

So what's the better option? Tear it down and replace the sheared ring or pinion gears or find something in the junk yard and replace all?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 01:38:31 PM by carlnelson »
Carl

Offline carlnelson

• 20 year Alaskan
Re: What Broke? Front Ring and Pinion or Carrier?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 10:49:17 AM »
  :)
ok, after the massive response this last week,  :P I have decided in my "spare time" to drain and remove the cover to take a "look see" at the ring and pinion. 

My original post was because my 1st inclination is to rebuild what I have, however, from what I've read, if you've never put one back together the adjustment/shimming can be problematic.... Not one to ever be afraid of a mechanical project I will prob just go for it and take it slow and easy.  lol

The junkyard option sounds quick and attractive however I feel I'll be just buying something with unknown mileage and usage, so might as well keep my own....

Since winter is now over in Alaska I have no immediate need for the 4 wheel drive and it's not my only transportation.... so I will be a while in doing this but have decided to take pictures and do a write up as it is always helpful....
Carl

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 01:33:53 PM »
I suspect the response was due to guessing what the problem is.  Start with the axle u-joints and move inwards.  You may find it to be an easy repair.  Keep us posted.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline carlnelson

• 20 year Alaskan
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 10:47:28 AM »
Thanks, will do!
Carl

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 11:03:21 AM »
I suspect the response was due to guessing what the problem is.

Exactly. You need to inspect everything and see what is malfunctioning.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline carlnelson

• 20 year Alaskan
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 05:36:17 PM »
Yep, will do, since it doesn't make any noise in 2WD, this is getting put off till closer to 1st snow.... I will document it then...  ;D
Carl