Author Topic: Hole in top of fuel pump...  (Read 4634 times)

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
Hole in top of fuel pump...
« on: June 16, 2018, 06:10:18 AM »
Ever seen this? What caused it? It may have been like this for a while, i'm not experiencing any problems. Used JB weld for a quick fix, will replace asap.

Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Hole in top of fuel pump...
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 07:13:22 AM »
Hard to tell from the pic but it looks like it's mushroomed on the corner. Did someone pry on it or hit it? It looks like external damage. Nevertheless, replace it.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Rattler12

• Registered Users
  • Old Geezer
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 08:39:27 AM »
The dreaded fuel pump borer...…….

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:42:15 AM by Rattler12 »
83 C-10 shorty 454, 5spd, 3:73 posi

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 10:53:47 AM »
Hi Philo:
From your photo it appears that something broke from the inside to the outside. What should be right below the place where the casting broke out is the diaphragm shaft of the pulse diaphragm...so either the top end of the shaft pushed through the casting or something came apart and then got stuck on top of the main shaft which then proceeded to squash it (and then through the cast wall) on the upstroke. Since your pump still works, it is most likely not the shaft that went through the wall but something that came between the top of the shaft and the wall. Although I am not very familiar with the inner workings of the standard Chevy 350 pump, I do know there is one or two springs on the drive lever...maybe one of these springs broke and a piece got stuck on top of the diaphragm shaft. I believe the pump can still work when one of these springs breaks. What would be interesting is that while you are replacing your pump is if you remove the JB Weld and take a look down the hole with a flashlight while the engine is idling and see if you see the end of the shaft moving up and down.
Regards,
Henry

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 07:52:52 PM »
Ok, thanks Henry and others. As VZ stated. Will be replaced.

Havent had the hood open in a while, nothing from the outside could have done that...like something physically hitting it. I think something protruded from within. Weird thing is, engine runs great and not a drop of fuel comes out. Drove around all day with the jb weld on it. Already ordered a new AC Delco replacement. Good for another 40 yrs.
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 08:47:51 AM »
After a long procrastination period, finally installed the new ac delco fuel pump. No problems except a bruised rib leaning over the fender. Weird..truck runs even smoother, makes no sense.

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 11:19:07 AM »
Hi Philo:
Good to hear you installed a new pump and everything is kosher. If it runs smoother now I would expect that was because your old pump was working, but probably not delivering spec amount of fuel, so the carb was a little bit starved. Do you still have the "holed" pump?...I bet it was just a return spring that broke inside that prevented the pump from delivering a full charge. Sometimes it amazes me the things that can go wrong on a Chevy 350 and it still runs.
Regards,
Henry

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 03:02:42 PM »
Why the rubber hose? What happened to the steel line?
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 08:50:06 AM »
Why the rubber hose? What happened to the steel line?
I never changed any hoses at all. Just swaped the pump only. When you installed the new engine, thats how you had it. Why? Should i replace the rubber with stainless steel?

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 04:52:44 PM »
i noticed there appears to be thread sealant on the fitting that goes into the pump.  Is this necessary?

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 04:59:14 PM »
You've got something going on there. A hole appeared in the pump, steel line became rubber hose. Did you take it somewhere for work? I would never replace the steel line with a rubber hose, use teflon tape etc.... hence the question.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline fitz

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 08:50:17 PM »
Vile,
What type of sealant,  if any, would you recomend instead of the teflon tape? 

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 10:49:30 PM »
You've got something going on there. A hole appeared in the pump, steel line became rubber hose. Did you take it somewhere for work? I would never replace the steel line with a rubber hose, use teflon tape etc.... hence the question.

Looks to me that rubber hose connects the steel fuel line from the frame to the pump.  Teflon tape is not needed on the other fitting.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2018, 04:47:10 AM »
When you installed the new engine, thats how you had it.

In the first pic there is a steel line, in the replacement pump pic it is a rubber hose attached to the steel line. I'm assuming whoever replaced your pump tweaked the steel line.

Vile,
What type of sealant,  if any, would you recomend instead of the teflon tape?

No sealant is required
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2018, 09:51:58 AM »
Flare fittings seal through the fit and crush of the flared faces against one another.  The threads of the fittings have no bearing on the seal of the connection.  However, if the shape and fit of the flares are imperfect, a good seal can be compromised.  Typically, tightening the flares sufficiently will overcome minor imperfections causing the faces to conform to one another - one of the advantages of soft steel tubing.  In difficult cases, lapping or replacement of the flares becomes necessary.  Before going to that extreme, two wraps of Teflon tape around a tubing nut lubricate the threads decreasing friction, thus, the required torque to seal the flares.  This allows the line nut to be tightened sufficiently to compress the flares together with greater force without distorting the hollow line nut. 

So, the application of Teflon tape to the threads doesn't seal anything.  It simply helps to prevent crushing of the line nut.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)