73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Instrumentation

Gas Gauge issue

(1/4) > >>

MY1978:
I had my original sending unit replaced about 3 years ago because I had needle bounce when driving.  Everything was fine, at least I thought, until today.  I decided to drive my truck around today running as much of the gas out currently in the tank out without running out.  I started at 1/2 tank and when I filled it after running around and doing errands ( a total of about 50 miles) the needle was registering at just about 1/8th tank.  Went to "fill" my tank and I only had to put 8 1/2 gallons in.  I know this is a 15 gallon tank.   So if the guage registered 1/8th above empty, shouldn't I have had to put at least 12-13 gallons in my tank before it registered full?  Because of how low the gas fill inlet is, I always get some splash back.  I was manually holding the trigger and it splashed back.  I waited about 15 seconds until things settled and then started pumping again at low volume and again got splash back.  I do not!!!!  want to take this someplace again and have the tank dropped again.  This would explain how I can drive 20 miles and burn over 1/4 tank gas.  The gauge is not registering.  Is there anyway to calibrate the gas gauge? 

bd:
It's not realistic to calibrate the gas gauge.  What did the fuel gauge indicate after the 8 1/2 gallon "fill-up?"

MY1978:
It moved up immediately to 3/4 full and then moved to "F"

bd:
Disconnect the fuel gauge wire at the tank sender.  It should simply unplug.  With the ignition switched ON the fuel gauge needle should rotate to about the 3:00 o'clock position and stay there.  Does it?  Now, temporarily ground the fuel gauge wire that was unplugged from the tank.  Make sure that you ground the wire to shiny bare metal.  With the ignition switched ON the fuel gauge needle should rotate and point directly at empty.  Does it?

MY1978:

--- Quote from: bd on September 30, 2023, 08:06:42 PM ---Disconnect the fuel gauge wire at the tank sender.  It should simply unplug.  With the ignition switched ON the fuel gauge needle should rotate to about the 3:00 o'clock position and stay there.  Does it?  Now, temporarily ground the fuel gauge wire that was unplugged from the tank.  Make sure that you ground the wire to shiny bare metal.  With the ignition switched ON the fuel gauge needle should rotate and point directly at empty.  Does it?

--- End quote ---

Disconnecting the fuel gauge wire at the sender is going to be tricky.  My truck is a short bed and the fuel tank is tucked up under the cab and front part of the bed.  I cannot even see the sender.  Any suggestions to make this easier?  I don't have a lift so I have to shimmy under the truck and I cannot sit up under it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version