Author Topic: '82 E-brake cables missing...wonder if later model e-brake set up will work?  (Read 3380 times)

Offline vince311

• Registered Users
I have an 82 SWB 2wd.
The previous owner apparently removed the middle e-brake cable loop....so that the dual exhaust cross member would fit  :-\

My driveway is on a hill...so the e-brake is essential. Wondering if a later model ('84+) e-brake system (that runs down only one side of the chassis) will work on my '82? Seemingly, this would allow the cables to not interfere with my exhaust....but still allow me to use the e-brake.

Has anyone on here done such a conversion or have a better work around?

Only real downside, is the expense...  as i haven't been able to find a used short bed set up, only long bed.  competitor. appears to have everthing, for a price :-)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 04:11:13 PM by vince311 »
'82 Chevy shortwide, 2wd, 350/350 - Sold

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
just make sure you have an equalizer and buy a universal intermediate cable. It will work fine.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline vince311

• Registered Users
just make sure you have an equalizer and buy a universal intermediate cable. It will work fine.

thanks for the reply. just to clarify, is the universal intermediate cable adjustable? So as to fit either a short or long bed?

I have the complete set up off a long bed....including equalizer. Sounds like I can use some of the old equipment that is already in place...along with the univeral cable...and get this thing working. :-)

Offline Stewart G Griffin

Do you have a manual transmission?

Offline vince311

• Registered Users