Author Topic: brakes dragging  (Read 7736 times)

Offline CuatrodeMayo

• Back in the saddle again
Re: brakes dragging
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 02:39:44 PM »
No. The hard line connection threads inside of the metal end of
rubber hose.

Offline CuatrodeMayo

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 03:03:41 PM »
If it's rounded bad enough, it might be vise-grip time. if not, then use a line wrench that wraps around the landings a little more. As long as you don't destroy the part that stays in the frame all is well.
Get some leverage, I've had to get creative in the past. You can use a pipe, or, my favorite, a very large box end wrench to fit over the wrench on the part and give you a longer fulcrum.

Good luck, my friend.

After much blood, sweat, and tears I finally managed to get the line replaced and the system bled.  Only to find out that it didnt fix the problem.  Today I replaced both calipers and brake pads, bled again, and seated the pads.  I then went for a drive.  Now both front brakes are dragging.  I jacked it up and tried to turn the wheels, but they wouldn't budge.  Now I dont know what to do. 

I'm no expert mechanic, so maybe I overlooked something? 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 03:06:19 PM by CuatrodeMayo »

Offline 77 step

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 10:49:29 PM »
I would try the "crack the bleeders" thing again while it is jacked up and the wheels won't turn. 

If the fluid comes out of the bleeder under pressure, and the wheel spins freely after, then you have a problem with fluid not being able to return to the master cylinder... whether it is hoses, master cylinder problem, actuator rod adjustment,etc.

If the fluid dribbles out, and the wheel still won't spin, then your problem is in the calipers ( I know you said you replaced them, so this shouldn't be the issue.

Assuming the problem is with the fluid returning to the master cylinder, and that you have already replaced the rubber hoses, you need to find out why the fluid can't get back to the master cylinder.

Did this problem just start happening?  Was the brake booster recently replaced (actuator rod adjustment)?
 Is the fluid inside the master cylinder clean (particles blocking fluid return ports or keeping the pistons in the master cylinder from returning)?  Is the pedal coming back up all the way?
Sean

1977 K-10 stepside under slow reconstruction.

Offline CuatrodeMayo

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2008, 10:18:18 AM »
What is the likelyhood of the proportioning valve being the problem?  O'reilys told me they dont make them aftermarket.

Offline CuatrodeMayo

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2008, 07:33:16 PM »
Fixed.  Master Cylinder.  Thanks!