Author Topic: remote solenoid installation  (Read 2638 times)

Offline thrival

remote solenoid installation
« on: May 17, 2009, 07:52:55 PM »
Hi, I'm doing a project that has nothing to do with the intended use of a remote (Ford)
solenoid, I'm using it as a relay, but not from battery to alternator. I need the solenoid to
engage when the ignition switch is ON. The ignition wire that starts at the fuse-box is PINK
and connects via a clip to the ignition coil in the cap. It's always hot when the key is ON,
best I can tell, in as much as if I disconnect it, the car doesn't start.

OK, I ran a wire from that clip to the solenoid coil terminal (That would put the solenoid coil
in parallel with the ignition coil.) I sanded an area on the inside fender-well to remove the
paint and expose bare metal. I painted the bare metal with conductive graphite paint and
mounted the solenoid on top. The relay connection I've not connected yet, I just want to
know the relay works first, but when I turn the key, nada, nothing. I expect to hear a click
as the solenoid engages, but ...no click.

This is an 85 amp continuous current solenoid. I'm curious what i might have done wrong. All
the connections on the jumper wire are fresh, good & clean. The jumper wire  to the solenoid
coil is about 28 guage, insulated. I'm not sure how much current it takes to activate the solenoid
coil but i figured the ignition wire would have enough to power it, and the ignition coil. Again, any
comments what i might have done wrong, would be appreciated.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: remote solenoid installation
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 07:58:55 PM »
I'm really confused why you are using a solenoid over a relay? Are you planning on running something that's going to pull over 100 amps? What are you using it for?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Russ130

• Frequent Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 08:01:33 PM »
28 is very thin and probably won't carry enough current to energize the solenoid.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 12:14:22 AM »
like russ said 28 is small haven't even see it lol i would use 14 at the least but there should be two small post for that a "key" wire will connect to and only one will activate the solenoid the other well i don't know what it does, iv never used it b4. test your with a hot wire to the battery use 14 ga. and see what it does.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 06:22:43 AM »
The other terminal is just like the R terminal on a GM starter solenoid. It's energized when the solenoid is energized.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline choptop

• Extended cab fanatic
    • conversiontrucks
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 06:45:39 AM »
It depends on which solenoid realy you have. Is it an actual Ford relay or is it a aftermarket? Cole-Hersee make solenoids that are similar in appearance only. If it is not a Ford relay, then the second small post on the solenoid is the ground. Need to know that before I can know for sure. Since you stated it was a continuos rated relay, then I believe its the two wire coil. One for the pos input, and the other is ground.
  16 awg wire is big enough and the solenoid only takes a few amps to operate, and should work off of the ignition switch. 28 awg wire wont handle the surge of the pullin current. If you are going to be running sensitive electronics like stereos, electronic ignitions, etc, then you need a flyback diode across the coil to prevent the spikes from frying your other electronics.

You said you are wanting to use it as an ignition. What are you turning on with it? This solenoid is kinda overkill for our trucks on just ignition.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 06:48:51 AM by choptop »
76 C10 Choptop,76 C10 Swb
85 C10, 85 K10, 85 K20,86 C10,86 K10 (all extended cabs)
86 C30 extended crewcab