Author Topic: axle bearings and seals  (Read 1674 times)

Offline cowboyninja88

• New Users
axle bearings and seals
« on: August 15, 2017, 07:54:13 PM »
Does any one happen to know the gm part number for axle bearings and seals? i got a 9.5" 14 bolt semi-floater in a 1985 k20. and any tips on how to install. i just have hand tools and not alot of time

Offline jetman

• Squarebody Referance Library
Re: axle bearings and seals
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 09:12:55 AM »
Do not have the GM PN's, but those parts are made by lots of aftermarket companies and price is low.  One company, Centric, PN 41766001 for seal and 41364001 for outer axle bearing.
I rebuilt my 9.5" a year ago, added the infamous G-80 locker (which for my application has worked great). Bought G-80 on Ebay for $75 delivered.
You can pull the axles/bearings/seals easily with common hand tools, mostly using your big hammer.
The only trick to remember is that the axle shaft serves as the bearing "inner race".  With a plethora of aftermarket bearings on the market, the fit of individual bearings by manufacturer varies.  I bought several bearings from the local parts houses, trial fitted all and made my selection.  The best fit, in my case, was not the top name brand.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 05:30:00 PM by jetman »

Offline cowboyninja88

• New Users
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 06:59:57 PM »
thankyou. ill be ripping it apart tomarrow. i hope a 10 pound sledge is a big enough hammer. lol

Offline jetman

• Squarebody Referance Library
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 09:54:11 PM »
Don't forget you can most likely pick up a "loaner" slider style bearing puller at your local auto parts store, not totally needed but makes the tear apart a bit easier.  You can put 'er together with common hand tools.