Author Topic: Transmisson not goin in drive!!!!  (Read 2751 times)

Offline ih8mud

Transmisson not goin in drive!!!!
« on: December 03, 2005, 04:20:00 PM »
I have a 79 chevy with the th350.  The other day it just started to feel like it was slipping when i accelerated.  Finally it just gave out, wont even move.  I ended up having to get it towed.  Whats weird is that it will go in reverse fine, strong to.  But you can go through 1st, 2nd, and drive and nothing.  This transmission has never been serviced so its probably out for the count.  But i dont know alot about automatic transmissions so i was hoping maybe its an easy fix, just something i dont know about.  I just need someone to tell me if its blown or not.  Please reply!  Low on cash.

Offline kursed

• Chopperhack
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 04:37:00 PM »
blown... rebuild it... get a th350 manual on rebuilding and a rebuild kit (roughly $200) and start working :D  they're actually not that hard to do, just the first one takes a bit of patience

Offline ih8mud

Re: ...
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 09:07:00 PM »
Yeah, thats what i thought, showed all the signs for it.  I think i might go with the 700r automatic transmisson.  I had a talk with my mechanic while he was giving me and my truck a ride home.  He said something about, in one of those years they made that transmission it electronically disengages the torque convert when you apply on the brakes.  Not sure about this my full attention wasnt on him.  But he did say something about getting the 700r transmission out of a z71 and its transfer case.  I have that np 203, fulltime, 285pds.  Is this attachly possibly and you think this would be a good idea.  

Offline kursed

• Chopperhack
Re: ...
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 02:53:00 PM »
ok i dont think the electronic lock up veersion of the th350 came out until mid eighties and i would just stick with a th350 instead of switching to a 700.. the th350 is a wonderful tranny and will last many many years if taken care of and if fluid is changed on a fairly regular basis.. id change it about every 25-30,000 miles