Author Topic: Hard start  (Read 3075 times)

Offline Tazman

Hard start
« on: August 01, 2017, 07:40:19 PM »
I drive to work in the morning and I stop at the gate to unlock it and then I drive in and park. Problem is that I shut the truck off while unlocking the gate, when I start it back up it acts like the battery is very low but it does start. This is with the engine off a couple minutes. This battery is two months old and I had it, the alternator, and the starter checked all are good.Any ideas?

Thanks
Proud of and proud to be a veteran of our military.
God BLESS AMERICA

Offline hotrod87

• 87 chevy 383 stroker
Re: Hard start
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 09:07:01 PM »
You could have a bad ground and the truck is just running on the alternator....and since the battery is new, it will recover in time...but not forever

Offline AZ4X4SQBDY

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 09:35:58 PM »
Bad cables, bad grounds.

Perform a voltage drop test and see where it at. Considering the age and miles on the truck, a badly corroded terminal end that's hidden in the plastic cover could be an issue.

Check the ignition timing also.
1987 GMC Sierra Classic 4x4 short, fleet, 1985 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 short, step side, '87 Chevy Silverado short fleet, '91 Dodge Ramcharger LE 4x4,
2005 Porsche Boxster S,1982 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 09:03:06 PM »
pretty much what they said. the other options could be a heat soaked stater, starter going out or timing too advanced
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Tazman

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 12:29:01 PM »
After doing some checking I learned this truck originally had side mount battery terminals and now has top mount. So I started checking the wiring and found the wiring connections to be a little on the loose side. Disconnected them, cleaned and reconnected, since then all seems to be fine. My only question is why this was done when the truck has only 49k miles on it.

Thanks !!
Proud of and proud to be a veteran of our military.
God BLESS AMERICA

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 03:44:27 PM »
miles wont matter with something like the battery. it could of been the old battery crapped out and all they had handy or cheapest option was a top post or the old terminals got corroded and couldnt be cleaned up. all of my old trucks get top post and i only have 3 batteries to worry about. if i need one i try and pull it off my 91 v3500 cause i set it up for dual batteries and its like have one on charger for my mud truck anytime i need or want it.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline AZ4X4SQBDY

• Registered Users
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 07:42:27 PM »
It wasn't common but the OEM battery corroded at the terminal and the corrosion would creep down to inside the cable. From the outside, it looked fine with just a hint of swelling, cut the plastic cover off and strip the cable covering back a little and it was packed with corrosion with half the cable gone. A voltage drop test would point you in this direction.

First time I saw this I was like, who designed this!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 12:44:36 PM by Captkaos »
1987 GMC Sierra Classic 4x4 short, fleet, 1985 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 short, step side, '87 Chevy Silverado short fleet, '91 Dodge Ramcharger LE 4x4,
2005 Porsche Boxster S,1982 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce