Author Topic: Newbie Advice  (Read 6067 times)

Offline Joe-NC

Newbie Advice
« on: September 30, 2010, 07:00:16 PM »
I'm looking right now to buy a '73-'87 longbed to use as daily driver. I'd be interested in reading your opinions on what year model, engine size, transmission, etc you think are the most reliable, most indestructible, easiest to fix, etc. I can fix most anything and usually learn as I go, but don't have a lot of experience with these older model trucks. That's why I'm here, to learn.

I'm pretty sure I want a carburetor. I'm tired of dealing with temperamental EFI settings, emission sensors, and CILs. I've had a 4x4 for a while now and want a sportier truck this time.

Offline 1980c10

Re: Newbie Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 09:16:37 PM »
you should post when you find something and then ask for the feedback, otherwise the question is just a little too general. Also add some details such as if you would be towing or what kind of driving you'll be doing with the truck.

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 10:31:39 AM »
If you are in a smog state, see what years are exempt, if any. in Cali, its 75 and older.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 12:51:47 PM »
What is your intended useage for the truck? Sportier usually means shortbed 2wd but you want a longbed. What is your daily driver routine? Highway, towing, burning out, hauling cargo etc? BTW what are CIL's?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Gregg72340

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 12:57:13 PM »
Im gonna throw in my two cents here, just because I have been doing the same thing recently.  I would go 2wd something with either a 305 or 350 in it and an automatic.  You can get a basic custom deluxe set up like this especially if its an 81-87 and dress it up however you like.  They run from 700-1500 around here (Pa) in pretty good shape, so it would be a decent starting point for you.  so you dont have a lot of $$$$ tied up to get in and play the game this way

Its basically what I am doing now for my build.

Just my opinioin
Gregg

Offline Joe-NC

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 07:44:18 PM »
CIL stands for "check engine light". NC stops doing emissions tests after 35 years old, so that would be '75 and older just like in CA. I do handyman work so I need a toolbox and room for hauling a few pieces of plywood, etc. I don't need the fastest thing around, but I find that most other drivers are slowpokes, so I need to get around them pretty quick.  ;D  I will drive it between 10k-15k miles per year, half city, half highway.

I found a 1985 long bed with 147k original miles, 305 v8, good paint, flowmasters. No major problems, but a crack in the dash. $1,500.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 07:54:26 PM by Joe-NC »

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 08:53:59 PM »

C = Check
I = Engine?  ???
L= Light

You learn something new everyday!

That 85 sounds like a good deal

,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 08:57:12 PM »
ingine  ;D

Offline Joe-NC

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 07:26:48 AM »
Sorry, Check Injun Lights were found on some models of early pioneer wagons. I meant Check Engine Light CEL.

Okay, now I feel like an official stupid newbie.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 01:19:25 PM »
1985 with original 147K miles it going to be hard to prove since the speedo only goes to 999999.  My 87 has rolled over at least twice.

If you are dead set against EFI, you looking at 1973-1986, so pretty much any of them.
Although it is only a TBI and it makes drivability 100% better.

Offline Joe-NC

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 08:45:25 PM »
So would you say most people who have the TBI like it? Is the driveability difference enough to justify a TBI conversion on the earlier models?

I had an '87 Ford F-150 which was the first year Ford put fuel injection in their 300 engine. Apparently they didn't know what the heck they were doing because it always ran like a piece of crap. My father-in-law still has one and it requires regular check-ups just to make it idle.

I drove the truck I'm considering today. The body is not as good as I thought. It has some small rust spots all over, the hood doesn't close flush with the fender and needs painting, the dash is cracked really bad (I wouldn't mind covering it), the driver's door hinges are shot, it leaks oil (expected I guess), the interior needs work. It runs pretty good but the 305 is weaker than I was expecting.

He'll take $1,200. Is it worth it?

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 08:58:47 PM »
i've always been a carb guy until I got a great deal on my 91 5.7 V2500 sub.  Never liked the idea of a computer controlled vehicle since i knew nothing about working on them. 
Come to find out, the TBI truck is awesome and pretty simple to work on.  TBI is dependable and gets better mpg than regular carb. 

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 10:10:38 PM »
I currently have 6 running trucks, 2 were carb'd, I am converting one to TPI the other to diesel.
the one that has the carb is a pain to crank and is temperamental.  All the others I jump in and turn the key.

As for the one you are looking at, I would have to see pics.  I would expect a motor NOT to leak.