Author Topic: hole through a lq9  (Read 4678 times)

Offline tcituck

hole through a lq9
« on: December 30, 2014, 05:54:23 PM »
Hey fellas I have a question.  I have access to most parts needed to perform the ls swap in my 84 3/4 ton. the problem is the motor in the already swapped truck has a rod sticking out the side. the truck was rolled and the kid never let off throttle is my guess. It has the lq9 engine fully cnc'd port and polished heads high lift cam and tuned ecu. was never dyno'd but on paper should have been around 550hp. im wondering if i couldn't put the cam and heads on a more readily available ls engine. i wouldn't expect the same numbers but better on my wallet. i can get this donor swapped truck with everything needed for $1500. I cant seem to find a lq9 short block used. And a drop out engine is almost $2000. I realize that may not be much for performing this type of swap but it is for me. what short blocks would anyone suggest to mate with the heads and cam? thanks for any help.

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
Re: hole through a lq9
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 08:02:41 PM »
Not sure on exactly what short blocks will work, see if you can find a bare block or just the block and parts from a junk yard or online, such as craigslist.

My main reason for replying is that if I where you,  getting all of that engine and extras and a truck for 1500 bucks sounds pretty good. The truck might be useless, but you could probably still salvage some good or decent parts from it and the engine stuff to do the LS swap. If it were me I would get the truck as soon as you can, salvage what you need, want and can from it, then cash the rest in for scrap. Alot of those LS swap parts and stuff will run alot more than 1500 bucks if you try and buy them new, even used they are still expensive. Some elbow grease and a car trailer might get you some useful parts and some extra cash from scrap.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 11:12:39 PM »
If the piston came out the side you need to know what the heads look like as those loose/broken parts had to go somewhere.  Any many pieces would probably be in the oil and....
With that said, any LS block will take the heads and drivetrain.  5.3L should be plentiful.  Again, know what you are buying before you spend the money.

Offline tcituck

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 07:34:27 AM »
The donor truck is by buddies I helped with the swap. Already pulled heads to inspect and not a mark.

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 09:47:27 AM »
Excellent. I would say snatch that thing up, I would.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline tcituck

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 10:21:31 AM »
I seen lq9's going for 2000~ and lq4's for 1200~  could I just get a lq4 and some flat top pistons for less? Considering both are complete engines and I would be sselling everything but the short block.

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 10:51:56 AM »
You will  need the whole short block if it threw a rod, unless you have pulled it down that far....  I would suspect something got bent though.

Offline tcituck

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 03:07:41 PM »
I found a 5.3 locally. Will the cam from the lq9 fit it?

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 12:42:53 PM »
Any LS cam will go into any LS motor regardless of displacement.  It will be a little more aggressive in the 5.3L though, but it will definitely swap.  The only gotchas are if it is a 24x or 58x reluctor as the sensor moved, but it can be converted if you have all the parts from a donor.