73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > 73-87 Chevy & GMC Trucks

Ignition Switch sticking.... Gone Bad?

(1/2) > >>

Ziptar:
I was working on the 79 today and I noticed that the ignition switch is sticking, it doesn't return back srom start. I have to turn it back myself. What's worse I think the noise that I thought the tranny was making is actually the starter running, not sure though, noise goes away in drive, but when I put it in Park or step on the brake with it in drive the noise comes back.
I also thought my Temp gauge was bad it would peg on HOT, when I was fooling with the ignition switch I could finagle the key back far enough to get the gauge to read correctly, so again I think It's stuck in start. More often than not I'll turn the key back too far and the truck shuts off.

I sprayed some WD40 into the lock cylinder and it made a slight difference but it still doesn't spring back from the start position.

Any Ideas??

123 pugsy:
Be careful.I had this problem and it got stuck in the run position when a friend was using my truck.It definitely is toast.
ended up putting a toggle and a push button on it.

alhrensblade:
Heh, I had the same thing happen a while back, had to stall my '78 for a week before I could get a replacement (my only ride at the time). I /highly/ recommend getting it replaced before it sticks completely, as they're a b**** to remove if they're jammed in run.

Mr Diesel:
Probably your ignition switch located on top of the steering column underneath the dash. It is very inexpensive and easy to replace. Remove the two bolts under the dash that hold the column up and you will be able to lower the column enough to access the switch. Think I paid like $15 for a new one on my '76.  - Mr Diesel
'76 C30 Crew 6.2

ChevyGuy:
Its most likely the key cylinder thats sticking but also check the box and the rod on the steering column.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version