Author Topic: gauge cluster wiring  (Read 8541 times)

Offline 83silverado

gauge cluster wiring
« on: February 28, 2006, 01:07:00 PM »
Pulled my cluster this weekend to find out why I still can't get any dash lights.  Found out that there is one bulb at the upper right corner that does not seem to be part of the flat circuit.  It has one black wire going to it, and in my case this wire is cut.  I can't find the other end of it.

Anyone know what the story is with that?  

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: gauge cluster wiring
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 05:42:00 PM »
Sounds like the fiber optic "wire" that illuminates the Ash tray.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline DnStClr

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 09:31:00 PM »
I'm gonna say it's the light for the fuel gage-if  it fits in the cluster right at the top corner.  

Don
87 Chevy Silverado

Offline 79sbchev

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 03:10:00 PM »
check fuse,than check headlight switch,that bulb with the black wire is a optic light for the ash tray.

Offline Z28 c10

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 08:11:00 PM »
Had same problem with my '81,(dash lights) I actually ran a jumper from bulb ground to the dash. It grounded out and the lights work great. Do check your switch to make sure that you've got power first.

Offline 83silverado

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 10:31:00 PM »
Thanks for all of the help.  I'm probably going to end up replacing the whole harness due to multiple "butcherings" both under the hood and under the dash.  Found 3 more small wires cut up by the fiber optic cable.

Anyone had any experience with those "painless" wiring systems?  They look pretty nice.

BTW, how did you ground the cluster so it works?  Where did you tie it into?

Offline DainBramaged

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 12:02:00 PM »
I think that black wire is a ground wire...  I am in the process of a restore where I swapped my 86 body (which was rusted pretty bad) with an 82 body.  When I did the swap I swapped the wiring harnesses, what a pain in the arse.  I would suggest just mending whatever has been butchered.  You can just run a ground to a little silver thing that has a bunch of prongs sticking off of it.  Its located under the dash on the left, a bunch of stuff gets grounded there (i think ;0).  PS  I am looking for a run down of wire colors and where each one goes to if anyone has that info.

Offline DnStClr

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 06:06:00 PM »
What you've found is the bus bar ground.
On different yrs , the wiring may be colored differently for the same systems. The biggest help is to find a wiring schematic book on ebay. I bought one for my 87 for $20, and then bought another one for $15. Now I have 2 and need to get rid of one. Heck of it is, there's more information for the 1988 model than the 87.
Go figure.

Don
87 Chevy Silverado

Offline 83silverado

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 08:23:00 PM »
Update- Installed a new (used) wiring harness, and managed to get dash lights!!!

Not sure what the original problem was (also installed a new headlight switch), but having dash lights is a good thing!  Thanks for all the help!