Author Topic: Wiper issues  (Read 14413 times)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Wiper issues
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2017, 06:50:28 PM »
Did you replace the wiper motor?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 1967KaiserM715

• 1985 GMC K1500 w/ 6.5 TD
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2017, 08:34:48 PM »
I have not, should that be my next step? I don't really want to spend the time or money just replacing parts, but I guess there comes a time it must be done. I only did the delay module 'cause it was a good deal, and easy to swap.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Current Vehicles:1985 GMC K10(Daily) 1991 GMC K2500(Daily) 1975 Beetle(not running) 1985 Mercedes 300D(not running) 1952 M35    1967 M715(not running)
 1986 Chevy K30(under repair)

Offline powebrya

• New Users
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2018, 04:06:36 PM »
I know this post is a little old, but this issue is so common, I figured I post my findings on my 86 k10.

My problem was one speed for wipers and no delay.  Wipers would run until I turned the stalk to the mist setting.

I first checked the circuits for potential shorts.  It seemed ok.  I then cleaned the connectors. No change in the wipers.
I pulled the pulse module apart and found a relative simple circuit with a few capacitors in it. Since caps tend to go bad over time, I replaced them.  Still no change.
Went to the junkyard and found a module off a 89 Suburban that was in real nice shape.  No change.
At this time, I was getting frustrated.  My high beams didn't work, blinkers wouldn't cancel on their own, horn didn't make noise, and my wipers weren't fully functional.  I decide to rebuild my steering column. I replaced all electrical components with AC Delco parts all new including the pulse module.  Put it all together, everything works except for the wipers.  However, my wipers would turn on as soon as I turned on the ignition and would not turn off.
I sent the new pulse motor back and got a replacement.  Back to the original symptoms.
I then decided to replace the wiper motor.  This gave me both a low and a high speed, but still no delay.  I would still have to rotate the wiper switch backwards to the mist position to cancel the wipers.
I then took my old wiper motor apart and cleaned off the electrical connections for the park position.  This would let the wipers return to park without using the mist position and also give me 1 cycle of delay before the wipers would wipe constantly.
Hoping I was getting closer, I returned the wiper motor and got another one.  It now works the same as the motor that I cleaned, but no real delay.  Only 1 cycle and then constant wiping afterwards.
I checked all of the wiring again and could not find any shorts to ground or opens or any abrasions in the physical wires.
My conclusion is that this system is a piece of crap and the replacement parts are just as crappy.  I cannot say with any certainty that all of the parts that I have put into this problem are actually working as designed even though they are brand new.  I have decided that it's not worth my time or money to pursue it any further.   >:(

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2018, 06:44:34 PM »
Well wouldn't the world just be dandy if everything were easy and could be solved by simply replacing parts?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline powebrya

• New Users
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2018, 05:00:11 PM »
Nice. Thanks buddy!  ;)

Offline 1967KaiserM715

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2018, 10:17:10 AM »
Considering its been a year, my wipers still do not work correctly. And its gotten worse... Truck is a 1985 GMC K1500 With intermittent wipers.

My Symptoms:
Wipers have NO Delay feature
Wipers do not turn off when switched to OFF, only when switched to "Mist Function"
Mist does not function correctly, must hold for wipers to move, when released wipers stop(they do not Park)
When in "delay" only move at low speed. stays in low speed when in Low
High Speed sometimes does not function.
Also more frequently now, wipers fail to stay on and will stop mid-sweep sometimes.

Some things I've done:
Made sure motor wasn't grounding internally, via this test on post #7 in this thread- http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=10154.0
Applying 12v to power in and grounding the High and Low circuits on the motor, the motor functions as it should.
Removed the delay module-this of course gets rid of delay, but still will not allow Wiper motor to park, must still go to "mist" to stop wipers
I have removed and cleaned all connections, verified grounds.

I attached a two New motors to the system, not a full install, both motors did the same thing as the original. I added ground wires to the motor body, with no change.
tried 3 different pulse boards, 1 new, two used, all function the same.
tried two new switches-not a full install, I just plugged both switches into the harness and left them hanging on the floor.

Just the last day I've been doing continuity and power checks. Some things I've noticed. when applying 12v+ to the wiper motor, my test light lights up when probing the low and high circuit. Normal??it does it on both motors I have.other then that I haven't noticed any abnormal continuity issues, I'm going to redo the tests right now, but I would really like to get some input on this.
Current Vehicles:1985 GMC K10(Daily) 1991 GMC K2500(Daily) 1975 Beetle(not running) 1985 Mercedes 300D(not running) 1952 M35    1967 M715(not running)

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2018, 12:20:10 PM »
Concentrate on the "no park" issue first.  With all wires connected, ignition switched ON, wipers switched OFF, and wipers in the "up" position, use an incandescent test light clipped to a verified good ground and probe both gray wires at the w/w motor.  Are both gray wires live?  Probe the blk/lt blu wire at the w/w motor - is it live?  Reconnect the test light so it is clipped to B+ and reprobe the blk/lt blu wire.  Does the test light illuminate?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline 1967KaiserM715

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2018, 03:20:08 PM »

Concentrate on the "no park" issue first.  With all wires connected, ignition switched ON, wipers switched OFF, and wipers in the "up" position, use an incandescent test light clipped to a verified good ground and probe both gray wires at the w/w motor.  Are both gray wires live?  Probe the blk/lt blu wire at the w/w motor - is it live?  Reconnect the test light so it is clipped to B+ and reprobe the blk/lt blu wire.  Does the test light illuminate?

Both grey are live with wipers up, ign on, wiper switch off.

Blk/lt blu does not light with test light connected to ground.

Blk/lt blu illuminates when connected to a B+ source.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2018, 06:06:14 PM »
Regardless of the number of wiper motors you've tried, the "park" problem is the park switch inside the wiper motor.  The gray wires testing live indicates that the wiper motor circuit is complete all the way up to the two-wire park switch connector.  Both tests of the blk/lt blu wire indicate that the park circuit is complete between the park switch and ground via the wiper switch.  That leaves the park switch and its connections inside the w/w assembly as the culprit causing no park.  A faulty park switch will also cause "mist" to malfunction and not park.

For the delay issue, unplug the wiper switch from the delay module and use your ohmmeter to measure the resistance through the brown wires of the w/w switch.  Measure the resistance across the full sweep of the delay knob on the turn signal stalk and report your findings.
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2018, 08:20:27 AM »
Regardless of the number of wiper motors you've tried, the "park" problem is the park switch inside the wiper motor.  The gray wires testing live indicates that the wiper motor circuit is complete all the way up to the two-wire park switch connector.  Both tests of the blk/lt blu wire indicate that the park circuit is complete between the park switch and ground via the wiper switch.  That leaves the park switch and its connections inside the w/w assembly as the culprit causing no park.  A faulty park switch will also cause "mist" to malfunction and not park.

If you're skeptical and wish to verify this ^^^^, with ignition ON, wipers OFF unplug the two-wire connector (gry and blk/lt blu pair) from the w/w motor and jumper the wire pair together, bypassing the park switch.  Do the wipers run on low speed?

Yes - the park switch is missing or faulty OR there is a continuity problem through the connector terminals.

No - there is excessive resistance in the gry or blk/lt blu wires and further tests are needed.
Rich

Offline 1967KaiserM715

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2018, 09:36:03 AM »

If you're skeptical and wish to verify this ^^^^, with ignition ON, wipers OFF unplug the two-wire connector (gry and blk/lt blu pair) from the w/w motor and jumper the wire pair together, bypassing the park switch.  Do the wipers run on low speed?

Yes - the park switch is missing or faulty OR there is a continuity problem through the connector terminals.

No - there is excessive resistance in the gry or blk/lt blu wires and further tests are needed.
Wouldn't be the first time I've gone through several "new" parts, I'll double check with this test to confirm though.

Offline MIKE S

• Registered Users
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2018, 12:20:19 PM »
 Check to make sure that the windshield washer pump on the fender is plugged in and the pump is operational. You wouldn't think that has anything to do with the operation of the wipers, but it does trust me.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 12:23:49 PM by MIKE S »

Offline 1967KaiserM715

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2018, 01:35:13 PM »
Assuming I've read my multi-meter correctly, start of delay sweep is .625 Mohm, end of sweep is about 1 ohm.

According to  park switch test, it is the switch or faulty connections.

Washer works.

Offline 1967KaiserM715

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2018, 05:03:38 PM »

The procedure for "Wiper Will Not Shut Off"

Ignition switch is on - wiper switch is in the off position.  Disconnect the wiring from the wiper terminals 4 and 3.

If the wiper stops:  Repair the wiper motor (replace the park switch Assy)
If Wiper still runs continue on

Remove wiring from wiper terminal 19, 18, 17 connect 12v + to wiper terminal 19 only

If wiper doesn't run:  locate and repair the ground condition in the wires from the wiper terminals 18 or 17 to the wiper switch.
If the wiper still runs:  Repair the wiper motor (look for internal Ground condition in LO or HI Brushes)

According to this, if the wiper still runs with the park switch removed, there is likely a short in the low or high speed circuit. Using a fused test light, I probed the low and high connection at the motor. I get full brightness on power in(obvious), I get very dim light when probing the low side(wipers on low) and a a slightly brighter(half brightness) light when probing high(wipers still on low) Wipers have appeared to completely stop working on high now.

This was actually that grounded motor test I did earlier, but I guess I wasn't really paying attention when I wrote my previous post, and neglected to include the results.

**Accidentally just hit post, but with that, I still found no continuity to ground(with the exception of the black wire on truck side of pulse-board) on any wires. and I found no continuity between any other wires, all wires disconnected from motor and pulse-board.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 05:07:43 PM by 1967KaiserM715 »

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2018, 07:26:06 PM »
According to this, if the wiper still runs with the park switch removed, there is likely a short in the low or high speed circuit.

DID the wipers continue to run with the w/w switch OFF, ignition ON, gray & black/lt blue pair disconnected from the w/w motor?  Or did it run only when you jumpered the gray to black/lt blue?

Using a fused test light, I probed the low and high connection at the motor. I get full brightness on power in (obvious), I get very dim light when probing the low side (wipers on low) and a slightly brighter (half brightness) light when probing high (wipers still on low) Wipers have appeared to completely stop working on high now.

If I understand you correctly, this ^^^^ is expected.  Bear in mind, the w/w motor is powered whenever the ignition is switched ON.  The w/w switch controls the ground path.  As long as power is applied to the motor and the w/w switch is OFF (the ground path is open), a test light used to probe the motor leads will register the applied power and illuminate at full brightness on the I+ side of the motor while illuminating relatively dimmer on the "ground side" of the motor.  The relative dimness between the high- and low-speed motor connections is due to the resistance introduced through the motor windings - the high-speed windings have less resistance than the low-speed windings, so the test light is brighter when connected to the high-speed lead.

On the other hand, when the ignition is switched ON and the w/w switch is set to low, grounding the gray low-speed wire, a grounded test light probing the gray wire should extinguish.
Rich