Author Topic: Officially Stumped  (Read 3583 times)

Offline joemechengineer

Officially Stumped
« on: June 04, 2018, 07:37:46 PM »
I just bought a 1986 c10 silverado with 80k miles for what I thought was a sweet deal.  Truck started and ran great, drove it an hour home without a hiccup.  No smoke or hesitation, ran like a champ.  Minimal rust on the body and the frame is solid without hardly any surface rust.  A southern truck no question.

When I got it home, it sat for about 3 days before I went out to take it for a drive and the thing wouldn't start.  Didn't seem like it was getting any gas, I tried the fuel line in the bottle and never got any fuel out of it.  Reading posts online, I thought it might have been the fuel pump, so that was the first thing to get changed.  No improvement.  Then I thought maybe the valve selector solenoid for the 2 gas tanks might be bad, so I bypassed that and went straight to one of the tanks that I know is full of fresh gas.  Still no luck.

When I sprayed carb cleaner in the carburetor, I can get the truck to turn over and it will run for a few seconds before it dies off.  It came with an edelbrock 1405 600 cfm carb.

I'm officially stumped.  It went from running fine the day I bought it to being a driveway ornament.  Hoping someone with more knowledge can guide me to some other things to try.

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
Re: Officially Stumped
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 09:23:30 PM »
Welcome.
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline big_al273

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 12:01:42 AM »
ok not too be a smart ass but did you check if there was any fuel in the tank? did you try adding any fuel?
91 Chevy R3500 Crewcab future project
89 GMC R3500 Cab & Chassis Tool truck project
88 Chevy V30 Crewcab Ex-firetruck
87 Chevy R20 Crewcab future project
84 GMC K1500 winter beater

Offline joemechengineer

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 04:40:14 AM »
ok not too be a smart  but did you check if there was any fuel in the tank? did you try adding any fuel?

Yeah, I mentioned that in the comment.  I filled one of the tanks on the drive home.  The fuel gauge wasn't working so to avoid being stranded I filled one of the tanks.

Also, I hooked a break bleeder pump up to the gas line near the carb and was able to pump gas up to it so there is no line blockage.

Offline joemechengineer

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 04:41:12 AM »

Offline Rattler12

• Registered Users
  • Old Geezer
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 09:11:01 AM »
At the risk of being pummeled by some of the guys on here :)  Edelbrock  is the root of your problem. If it starts with the carb cleaner it's a fuel issue and not ignition...…. my guess is a stuck fuel float. Have you determined if gas is making to the fuel inlet fitting on the carb ?
83 C-10 shorty 454, 5spd, 3:73 posi

Offline Mario

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 07:41:58 PM »
I 2nd that Rattler.  I would add or replace the inline fuel filter, and buy a overhaul kit for that carb.  I would soak it in hot soapy water, and then spray it down with carb cleaner.  Run soft wire into all the tiny passages, and blow compressed air through them.  I think it's the float valve.
Mario
Santa Cruz, NM
1972 C10 4x4 350 350TH NP205
1981 K20 355 NV4500 NP208 GM14SF GM10
2005 3500 Duramax Allison 5spd

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 08:15:29 PM »
2 questions

1. electric or manual fuel pumps?

2. are you sure you bypassed the valve and hooked the supply lines up together?

3. are you sure that line can reach the fuel? (blow on the line and hear bubbles or maybe try and siphon some fuel out of it before the fuel valve)
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline joemechengineer

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 12:50:52 PM »
I 2nd that Rattler.  I would add or replace the inline fuel filter, and buy a overhaul kit for that carb.  I would soak it in hot soapy water, and then spray it down with carb cleaner.  Run soft wire into all the tiny passages, and blow compressed air through them.  I think it's the float valve.

I'll check into that.  Thanks Mario

Offline joemechengineer

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 12:52:15 PM »
2 questions

1. electric or manual fuel pumps?

2. are you sure you bypassed the valve and hooked the supply lines up together?

3. are you sure that line can reach the fuel? (blow on the line and hear bubbles or maybe try and siphon some fuel out of it before the fuel valve)

1.  Mechanical fuel pump

2.  Yes

3. Yes, as mentioned in the comments above, I connected a break bleeder pump to the end of the fuel line at the carburetor and was able to pull full to that point without an issue.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 08:52:01 PM »
...it sat for about 3 days ... and ... wouldn't start.  Didn't seem like it was getting any gas.  I tried the fuel line in the bottle and never got any fuel out of it.  ...I thought it might have been the fuel pump, so that was the first thing to get changed.  No improvement.  Then I thought maybe the valve selector solenoid for the 2 gas tanks might be bad, so I bypassed that and went straight to one of the tanks that I know is full of fresh gas.  Still no luck.

When I sprayed carb cleaner in the carburetor, I can get the truck to [start] and it will run for a few seconds before it dies off.

I hooked a brake bleeder pump up to the gas line near the carb and was able to pump gas up to it so there is no line blockage.

So, return to the basics and perform some standard tests.  Check f/p draw (should measure >20"Hg).  Check f/p transfer volume (should measure 1 qt in 20-30 seconds of cranking).  Check fuel pump pressure (should measure 5-9 PSI).  Disconnect the fuel line from the tank and plug it.  Use your suction pump to check the fuel supply line for perforations.  Will it maintain a vacuum that's drawn on it?  Physically remove and blow through the fuel filter to see if it is restricted.  Avoid making any assumptions (rationalizations) and you should be able to narrow down the cause.  Rely only on what you can physically verify (prove) to be true.

And, don't neglect to verify that the ignition is generating a strong, blue spark.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)