Author Topic: Rear brakes grab  (Read 3225 times)

Offline TexasRed

Re: Rear brakes grab
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2021, 07:03:20 PM »
I suppose I need to update this thread.

I've put the new calipers from Raybestos, part numbers: FRC4124N and FRC4123N, which were NOT uncoated. They had some kind of shiny coating for rust prevention, so that's cool. However, the calipers didn't have clearance for the shims on the top of the pad on the piston side. A lot of them are attached by glue, so I just clipped the pieces that extended past the top.

I sanded the pads and the rotors to try to get a better break in. No real change however. The brakes seem to grab more when it's hotter.

I got some new return springs from a hardware kit that I bought locally from NAPA. I had a Carlson kit H7191 from rockauto that I'm replacing. That may have been it. The rear brakes don't grab as easy. The pads have a ways to go to clear through some of the glazing and really do some work.

I'll continue to drive it and see. If I get employed, may get the original combo/proportioning valve rebuilt.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Rear brakes grab
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2021, 05:21:51 PM »
That combination valve application is for an S-10 which is not for your truck. I don't see any specs on pressure limits but you should put the stock one back on. The single diaphragm booster also requires more pedal effort and will make it lock up more easily.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10