Author Topic: ESC Distributor to by-pass or not to by pass, that is the question...  (Read 4878 times)

Offline Patman

1985 K10 Longbed

Ive been doing a bit of tinkering and and gotten the truck in Family good shape. Ive recently replaced the Ignition Control Module, shocks, heat riser valve, exhaust manifold gaskets, carb, fuel tank selector valve, power steering pump, water pump, many vacuume hoses, fuel lines, battery and more. To my frustration, Im still having a hard time getting spark to the plugs. Im considering getting an entirely new distributor as the current one was refurbished by someone (not sure who).

That brings me to the point.

Is is better to just bypass the ESC and get just a straight HEI distributor or should I spend the money and get a new ESC distributor?

Ive heard that the motor is less efficient and gets bogged down a bit after bypassing the ESC. I’ve also heard the opposite. You guys have not steered me wrong yet so I’d like yall’s opinion before I make up my mind.

So, to stay stock or to bypass the ESC? What’ll it be?

Keep in mind that the truck came with a 305 and how has a 350.

Also, I’m in California, so smog equipment is still a requirement for me.

As always, much appreciated!
85 K10 350, 700R4, NP208, Quadrajet, Long Bed w/ 33’s
All stock except for the motor, used to be a 305.

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: ESC Distributor to by-pass or not to by pass, that is the question...
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 07:11:25 PM »
Is is better to just bypass the ESC and get just a straight HEI distributor or should I spend the money and get a new ESC distributor?

Every 305 truck I've had I went with a straight HEI.  Ran so much better.  I guess I never had one that worked properly.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 07:44:01 AM »
now i have NO experience with the ESC only, only the HEI and TBI. i can say the newer tech you tend to get better efficiency out of but its more stuff to go wrong. that being said if i was in your shoes and nothing was wrong with the ESC i wouldnt touch it but if it was bad or i thought i was having issues with it i would swap it out and go with the HEI. that way i know what my timing is set at and advance it as much as possible.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 09:33:32 AM »
You don't need to get another distributor----you can just bypass some of the wires.  Don't have time to discuss now though.

As far as mine, yes i've done both----on the 305 AND 4.3 v-6  just to keep things simpler.   Is there an advantage to leaving it?   Possibly, but i doubt it's very significant.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 04:46:37 PM »
Put the ESC Distributor in a shoebox in the garage and call it a day. Once you install a new HEI you won't even question why you did it. If you ever have to put it back in, go to the shoebox.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline DnSherrill

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 01:25:52 PM »
Every 305 truck I've had I went with a straight HEI.  Ran so much better.  I guess I never had one that worked properly.
any recommendations on vac assisted with elimination of emissions?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 04:10:31 PM by DnSherrill »
1986 C10 5L LWB