Author Topic: Cab Roof Thickness - 85 K20  (Read 1483 times)

Offline Doppleganger

Cab Roof Thickness - 85 K20
« on: August 28, 2018, 08:24:28 PM »
I take it that the cabs are not single layered sheet metal? I say this because if so, cab lights would have a number of screws coming out of the roof inside like stalactites.

I want to install an overhead console (not the cheesy plastic original ones.....something more usable and custom) and was wondering how much room is in there (for length of screws) to attach / hang the console?

TIA

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Cab Roof Thickness - 85 K20
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 09:46:30 PM »
if i was you i would think about the screws for the visors and use that as a "max" size to use.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Doppleganger

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 09:59:15 PM »
Good idea. I remember in my teens there being a local guy who mounted a CB to the inside of his cab roof....using 1" sheet metal screws. He even caulked the spikes sticking out to keep it from leaking. I had heard he played several years of HS/college football without the use of a helmet and that had alot to do with his engineering skills.....but I digress.

See...this is why you're a mod.

Thanks very much.

8)

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 11:18:10 AM »
If you take out the dome light housing you can see the double wall construction in that area, and you can run a flexible piece of metal or a wire up and over into the cab roof.  I don't know if that would help to get a better estimate of the spacing between the two layers of the roof.

You could also use a hole saw without a center bit, and after removing the old headliner you could make a hole in the sheet metal on the inside to see how much space there is.  You might also take a look at instructions for some of the custom headliners that have lights and radio/sound options, since they may require you to make extra holes for wiring.

Bruce
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 11:22:18 AM by 75gmck25 »