Author Topic: Lost all power during engine start  (Read 1277 times)

Offline GrandpaCMC

• Retired USAF
Lost all power during engine start
« on: September 10, 2018, 12:12:13 PM »
 Last night the wife was getting ready to turn to truck around up at the property so we could pack up and head home, the starter engaged and the truck hit on 1 cylinder and everything stopped dead.  It sounded like maybe a miss fire and the starter hung. When she tried to restart and there was nothing I thought the starter had hung engaged. So I first did the tap on the starter to disengage, still nothing. So I took the ground post off and batt and drop the starter enough to get end off the starter and it for sure was stuck, I turned the gear with my fingers and it rolled back into the starter housing. Reinstalled the Starter and both wire connections felt tight.  Reconnected the negative terminal to the battery, batt was measured, to begin with at 127. volts, which sounds right since we had charged our phones maybe twice be for the last time it was started, still no start check of lights and everything else and no power to anything, except maybe the cigarette lighter have to check first thing.

Now some backstory when we bought this truck a few months ago it had the problem that after the truck was warm the starter was 901 or interment, common solenoid to close to the headers and heat. Anyway I changed the Solenoid and rerooted the positioned batt cable to start that ran trough header to under header, rerooted power wire from starter and solenoid engage wire to firewall from down the LEFT (passenger) side behind carb down intake between carb and rocker panel in front of alternator down under the headers then back through the headers to the starter Positive terminal and the Engage terminal of the starter.  Rooted the Positive cable from batt under headers and up to the starter, rooted the Hotwire from the starter to the fuse block And the Starter engage from the starter back and up and over the firewire attempting to keep them somewhat separated.  That's been a week ago and its worked good since then, yesterday my wife ask me what the light under the dash was for, when I looked it was a blown 20amp fuse, I'm not sure how long it had been out last time I look it was fine but that was 3 weeks ago. We went to town yesterday and it started fine 5 or 7 times and it was fine coming back to the property. The diagrams and anything I have with me shows the fuse block with the old glass fuses, it has a fuse block with the new auto fuses but I can't read any ofd the fuses. if anyone has just a pict of the fuse block with the fuse name it would help my cell data is interminted thanks for any help
Steven C.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Lost all power during engine start
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 01:28:08 PM »
Please include Year, Make, Model etc.. when posting

Check the fusible links at the starter solenoid and the firewall junction block above the left (driver side) rear of the engine - give each a stout tug to see if any stretch or separate.  Carefully inspect the wires you just rerouted to make sure none have chafed to ground on sharp edges.  In addition, verify that none of the wires attached to the solenoid are inadvertently touching or arcing to adjacent solenoid terminals.  Check the battery cables and ends for any evidence of corrosion.  Bear in mind that acidic electrolyte can wick up a battery cable beneath its insulation and dissolve the copper cable, diminishing power available to the starter.  This can cause the solenoid points to weld. 

The factory wiring manuals are located in the Technical Forum, just scroll down to find them.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)