Author Topic: Doors...Repair OE vs New?  (Read 2263 times)

Offline kopeck

Doors...Repair OE vs New?
« on: November 18, 2018, 10:34:25 AM »
Morning,

I'm collecting parts for my '79 as they come up.  There's a set of doors not to far from me that claim to be OE and rust free.  Right now my drivers side door is getting pretty rusty at the bottom:

I'm pretty sure this is a OE door.  The fitment isn't terrible other than where it meets the front fender but that fender isn't OE so....

The passenger side door is rust free but I'm pretty sure it's no OE.  It's fitment isn't great but it works.

I know OE is the best so here's my question.  Would it make more sense to grab these two doors rather then to try and fix what I have?  Also, how can I tell for sure the doors that are for sale are OE?  They've been cleaned and primed.

Thanks,

K

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Doors...Repair OE vs New?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 06:47:26 PM »
Well didn't almost all of the original ones rot out? A quality aftermarket may be a better option but you would need to carefully inspect them unless they are NOS. NOS is always more desirable as it is high quality and better fitment than aftermarket. Nevertheless you have more going on there in regards to the fitment. I would suggest new body mounts, fitting the doors and realigning the fenders.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline kopeck

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 09:03:07 PM »
No doubt that I need more than two doors.  I'm collecting parts at this point, if good OE doors are the best option then it's something I want to look into.  Good OE stuff doesn't really come up all that often in Maine.  Are there any tell tail signs OE vs Aftermarket?  I would hate to buy used aftermarket doors.

As far as the cab, it need new mounts and some floor work on the drives side.  The passenger side is pretty darn good.  What's crazy is it's in pretty good shape for a Maine truck.

K

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 04:17:27 AM »
I'd be careful buying used doors in your area. If you are having a hard time finding them get new aftermarket doors. Either way they will require work to get proper fitment.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline kopeck

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 06:03:43 AM »
OK, I'll pass on these, they were priced more than aftermarket ones and like I said I would really kick my self if I got them and ended up have to put as much work into them as a set of new ones.

What I really need is a bed.  The floor in mine is shot, or at least the "stringers" are.  The sides are intact but not straight (this is the second bed on this truck, this one came with some interested wear and tear).  There's a couple guys in NH that seem to find good southern ones every now and then, I just need to bite the bullet and get one.  This one will be the last, this old girl doesn't see salt anymore.

The whole truck needs some love but it still starts right up and drives as well as anything of it's age.

K

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 04:59:28 PM »
You can get a new bed floor
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline AZ4X4SQBDY

• Registered Users
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 07:11:44 PM »
I like OEM best and would pay a premium for nice, straight, rust free parts. I would pay more than an aftermarket door "If" it was straight and needed minimal work before paint.  Much of the stuff around here is picked over and its getting tough to find decent complete trucks to part out.
1987 GMC Sierra Classic 4x4 short, fleet, 1985 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 short, step side, '87 Chevy Silverado short fleet, '91 Dodge Ramcharger LE 4x4,
2005 Porsche Boxster S,1982 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce

Offline kopeck

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 06:37:16 AM »
You can get a new bed floor

Yeah but the bed sides are not great.  Someone at some point put something very heavy on the rails and they sag.  The upper part of the sides have a little wave in them too.  From what I've seen a new floor after shipping would be nearly as much as one of these good used ones.  If the bed sides were sound I would go new floor in a heartbeat.

K