Author Topic: I need advice  (Read 4663 times)

Offline AZ4X4SQBDY

• Registered Users
Re: I need advice
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2018, 12:54:54 PM »
When I got divorced, I sold one of my trucks and always regretted it. Not thinking that I can "always make more money" rather "you can always get another truck". Stupid logic because I do not regret getting divorced but I do regret selling that 75 K5 and of course, I made more money. It's tough to get a return on investment in the direction you are talking. If you are going to sell it, sell it as a project truck as is. List it high, sell the powertrain separately. Good Luck

This, except I am still on my first marriage and we both are still reasonably happy about it.  ;D

Trying to justify spending more money on a project believing you are adding value to it is ....dangerous. You bought the truck right but trying to add the expense of a completely rebuilt drivetrain with expensive speed parts destroys that fact. If it had a plain V8 with an automatic transmission and working a/c once you painted it, did the interior and glass, the truck would be worth about the same, give or take a thousand dollars. And this is after you spent days and weeks chasing stuff, fixing things, calling in favors, etc in addition to taking a vow of poverty to finish the truck. If money is an issue today, it's not going to get any better fixing an old truck that "might" be worth something in a year.

This is another point, these trucks are hot right now but this market can turn in a heartbeat. There are a bunch of people who speculated on 911's standing around with their pants down around the ankles thinking there is always somebody who was going to pay more. Guess what happened? The market peaked and they are upside down. I don't know about your area but there are sections of town here in Phoenix that have a dozen or so, one and two person bodyshops that do wholesale or car dealer work. It seems like everyone of them has one or two of these trucks waiting to get in. When I see that, I know the end is near. They built millions of these trucks, the finest and best examples will always pull a premium, as more and more average trucks show up to market, prices will go down. Happens every time.

If you like the truck and plan on keeping it, go for it. Building it with the intent of resale? forget about it or do it without the expense of the drivetrain. 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 01:00:40 PM by AZ4X4SQBDY »
1987 GMC Sierra Classic 4x4 short, fleet, 1985 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 short, step side, '87 Chevy Silverado short fleet, '91 Dodge Ramcharger LE 4x4,
2005 Porsche Boxster S,1982 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce

Offline Andrew1989

Re: I need advice
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2018, 02:45:17 AM »
Here is where I’m at with it. I believe I can get the truck to the point of a resale value of 13-15k for a cost of 12-13k. I will drive it for a summer or until the right person purchases it.

Any vehicle that I can get even close to what was invested is a win when it comes to any “classic”.

By researching what people are getting for these will low horsepower “350s” I actually think I’m being conservative.

I’ve had a large amount of hot rods, and it is very normal to lose money on them when it’s time to sell, but I really think that with the market how it is and with my investment amount, this will be one of the rare sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk